Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can't change Radio Display Lightbulb

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't change Radio Display Lightbulb

I've been following this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWzXaPL8MgQ
But when it comes to the brown part with the lightbulb, I cannot get mine removed. It looks like the tabs might be soldered in but I don't know. I try to turn it from the middle with a flathead, that's the crack you see in the picture. If i try to turn it by gripping the outside, it smashes it. Either way I'm screwed. Is this brown part a GM part # and how much is it. I might just destroy it to get it out
Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Ugh. What a PITA. You know that you can just buy a new bulb with the socket already on it, right?

Just grab the brown plastic piece with some needle nose pliers (gently) and rotate it 90 degrees. It will come out then.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know what the part # for the socket is.. I know the bulb is 16208443 (not sure if that includes socket)
you think it will rotate all the way out even with the solder on the silver tabs?

I managed to bend the tabs up with a flathead screwdriver, got it out. socket part looks pretty beat to crap, will definately want a new one. Dealer is ordering the part above, we'll see if it has both parts or just the bulb tomorrow.

Last edited by 00firebird; 02-16-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 00firebird
I know the bulb is 16208443 (not sure if that includes socket)
The bulbs comes soldered in to a new brown holder.

Originally Posted by 00firebird
you think it will rotate all the way out even with the solder on the silver tabs?
The solder is there to attach the bulb to the brown holder. The brown holder is not soldered or anyway attached to the board. Just turn it 90 degrees. The tabs will turn with the holder and the whole thing will fall out.

Quick Reply: Can't change Radio Display Lightbulb