Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subwoofer occasionally cutting out.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Subwoofer occasionally cutting out.

I have a Rockford Fosgate P1 sub in my T/A that has been in the car since I bought it about 18 months ago. Until about 3 weeks ago it had never given me any problems Now it has started just randomly selecting when it wants to work. Functionality doesn't seem to be related to pitch, frequency, or volume. It's just totally random.

Would it be a fuse/wiring problem, or a problem with the sub itself?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the wires are connected securely. Otherwise could be a problem with the amp or sub.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
Make sure the wires are connected securely. Otherwise could be a problem with the amp or sub.
agreed. check every single wire and every single fuse. sounds like something is not connected properly.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you check the LEDs on the amp when it's cutting out? I'd guess the activation wire first, since they are typically flimsy and have caused similar issues for me in the past.

Just try powering everything up and gently wiggle all the wires attached to the amp, see if you can reproduce the cutting out and go from there. I assume the sub has it's own dedicated monoblock.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Is the amp going into protect, or does the sub just stop playing?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sub just stops. Sometimes it cuts back in for just a note or two. Had a buddy tell me the speaker itself might be going out. Something about a coil overheating. If you bump it a little it comes back on for a couple seconds.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Hmmm...If the amp is staying on, all I can think of is that one of the coils isn't totally hooked up. Like the wire fell out but is still sitting where it's supposed to be. Maybe it slides around and just kid of works??! Weird. If it's powering down it should be a power wire issue, check up at the front batt, fuse, and amp 12+ input.

Are you sure the amp isn't going into protect? Like watching it while it's happening. My 2 channel is doing something similar sound wise and it's the amp. It can go back and forth in and out of protect very quickly.

Search this Thread