Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fbody interior LED-strip wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fbody interior LED-strip wiring

Okay I just converted my factory interior bulbs to LED in my 2000 Camaro, but I also purchased 4 bright white LED strips with the intention of hooking them up somewhere in the interior to brighten it up a bit (I was thinking down by the pedals/under the glove box). But I'm not sure what to wire them into, I wanted to wire them into the map light wiring so they will go in/out when the doors are opened or when you flip the light switch but I can't seem to find the wiring and I don't want to run/hide a mile of wiring to the rearview. Anyone else do this? And if so where's the easiest place to wire them to?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there was something on that within the last few weeks, try a search. not sure exactly where the best place is to splice in, but basically follow the wires down from the mirror, they come down behind the drivers side A-pillar so just pull it out and see where they run to.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
there was something on that within the last few weeks, try a search. not sure exactly where the best place is to splice in, but basically follow the wires down from the mirror, they come down behind the drivers side A-pillar so just pull it out and see where they run to.
Yeah that's where I thought they ran to but I wasn't 100%. I don't really want to take the headliner off. And I don't want to just run them to a 12V source and have a toggle switch, like some ricers told me to do
Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

tap into the lighting circuit to the fog light switch
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Because of the way the map and courtesy lamps are wired, you can't wire your LED strips to work both with the courtesy lights and also with the map light switches. The courtesy lights get both power and ground from the Body Control Module (BCM).

Basically, the BCM provides constant power except when the battery protector circuit shuts it down to prevent draining the battery if a door is left open or the map lights are left on. The courtesy function is controlled entirely by the ground side. The BCM provides ground when the lights first go on (a door is opened) and then gradually reduces the ground (increases the resistance) to create the theater dimming effect.

The map lights use the same power feed from the BCM but the switches in the mirror route the ground directly to a chassis ground making the lights stay on a full brightness until either the switch is turned off or the BCM cuts the power for the battery saver.

The wires to accomplish all this are available at any of the courtesy lights (mirror, dome, hatch in a coupe) as well as at the BCM behind the glovebox. The dark blue with white wire in the black 6-pin connector at the BCM provides the power. The white wire in the blue 32-pin connector at the BCM provides the variable ground. Splicing your LED strip wires (probably red for power and black for ground) into the corresponding wires at the BCM will make the strips work like the courtesy lights. You will need some kind of switch in the ground side to be able to turn them on at other times.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
tap into the lighting circuit to the fog light switch
How is that different from what the ricers were telling him to do?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok un hook the connection on the rearview mirror lights take a test light and check each connection with the door open and then close it to find which wire will fade the test light out when the door is shut im not 100% but i think its white could be wrong tho then take your drivers side floor trim off and pull the side pannel back behind drivers seat find that wire and splice into it that's what i did and my red LEDs will come on when i open the door and will fade out when i close it they come on when i roll the **** to turn on interior lights as well
Old 08-13-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Read through this thread for everything you want to know about LED Interior Mod.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ood-taste.html
Old 08-13-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Because of the way the map and courtesy lamps are wired, you can't wire your LED strips to work both with the courtesy lights and also with the map light switches. The courtesy lights get both power and ground from the Body Control Module (BCM).

Basically, the BCM provides constant power except when the battery protector circuit shuts it down to prevent draining the battery if a door is left open or the map lights are left on. The courtesy function is controlled entirely by the ground side. The BCM provides ground when the lights first go on (a door is opened) and then gradually reduces the ground (increases the resistance) to create the theater dimming effect.

The map lights use the same power feed from the BCM but the switches in the mirror route the ground directly to a chassis ground making the lights stay on a full brightness until either the switch is turned off or the BCM cuts the power for the battery saver.

The wires to accomplish all this are available at any of the courtesy lights (mirror, dome, hatch in a coupe) as well as at the BCM behind the glovebox. The dark blue with white wire in the black 6-pin connector at the BCM provides the power. The white wire in the blue 32-pin connector at the BCM provides the variable ground. Splicing your LED strip wires (probably red for power and black for ground) into the corresponding wires at the BCM will make the strips work like the courtesy lights. You will need some kind of switch in the ground side to be able to turn them on at other times.
Great info! Thanks a lot guys!

Quick Reply: Fbody interior LED-strip wiring