Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Opinions on the Pioneer AppRadio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on the Pioneer AppRadio?

I guess they have the new version coming out soon, but his hasn't really caught my attention that much. I mean, if it was something revolutionary, we would have seen a lot more of it by now.

I had my mind pretty much made up on the AVH-4400, but my buddy was telling me to get the App2.

Thoughts?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like the concept of it, seems like it would be great if your always in an area with good cell signal. I don't like that you have to have your phone connected with a cable to use the app function.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I really like the idea of running DashCommand with the OBDII connection. I'd wait for the new version of the console. Buying a GPS or stream capable radio for each car isn't very cost effective, but your moving your phone between cars is something you'd probably do anyways. I'll be interested to see how much the street price is on the new model. And, they finally have something for Android.

I'm holding out for something a little more "audiophile" oriented, with full RCA outs at 4V, etc.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Check out the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH line then. There's three options of the radio available.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/AVH-P4400BH
-Built-In Amplifier; MOSFET 50 W x 4
-RCA Preouts; 3 (4V)
-D/A Converter; 96 kHz/24-bit
-Auto EQ (CD-MC20 required)
-Sonic Center Control
-EEQ (Easy EQ) Preset Equalizer
-Equalizer; 8-Band Graphic
-Crossover Network; HPF/LPF
-Advanced Sound Retriever
-Subwoofer Control
And I use my iPod 90% of the time when I'm in the car anyway. I've got so much music on there, I'd have to run multiple Touches. So I keep it all on an 80g that's pretty much full. My iPhone has a bunch of stuff on it, but nothing I NEED to use on the radio. If I need Navi, I can get it with the 4400.

I'm not really sold on the App2 or App radio. I'm not a HUGE smart phone fanatic, but more audio perfection oriented. I agree with the people above that say they like the concept. And who knows what's up with AT&T. I've never had flawless coverage with them and I've been all over the country. It's patchy at best.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 03-12-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you havent used the first edition. Try it.. I hated it. You cant scroll through the songs by dragging your finger. Its aweful, you have to hit an arrow to go through them all.

Other than that, its a pretty sweet system. If they fixed that problem, I would buy it in a heart beat. Go to Best Buy and play with it before thinking about it.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Capricio
I'm holding out for something a little more "audiophile" oriented, with full RCA outs at 4V, etc.
Why not use an EQ with a line driver if thats what youre looking for?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonnyv713
Why not use an EQ with a line driver if thats what youre looking for?
I already have a pretty decent audio quality HU, a Pioneer DEH-6200BT. DashCommand and GPS are the "killer apps" that Android would bring for me. Rather than go to the expense of an EQ and/or PAC OEM1, I'd rather just wait another model year. I don't think it will be very long before Pioneer or another manufacturer gets it right.

If I go through the trouble and expense of converting to double-DIN, buying adapters, possibly changing steering controls, removing a good HU... I'm gonna hold out for something that meets all my expectations, and I'll probably buy 2 of them so I can put one in my other car, too.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Capricio
I really like the idea of running DashCommand with the OBDII connection. I'd wait for the new version of the console. Buying a GPS or stream capable radio for each car isn't very cost effective, but your moving your phone between cars is something you'd probably do anyways. I'll be interested to see how much the street price is on the new model. And, they finally have something for Android.

I agree with this, the AppRadio doesn't have the music quality I'd be looking for out of a $400 head unit.

But, it would be awesome to get DashCommand into your dashboard.
I use DashCommand on my phone all the time and I love it.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think I may get the appradio 2 but the no CD parts really perplexing.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

It doesn't seem to have a lot of options for the Audiophile. Seems more like a iPad in your dash.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
It doesn't seem to have a lot of options for the Audiophile. Seems more like a iPad in your dash.
yep, thats what I'm going for also.
Ipad won't fit in our dashboards even with modifying the bezel so I'm on hunt for a good tablet that will.
It feeds into my 4 ch amp.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 03-19-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

the app radio is a piece of garbage. I played with the version 2 at CES and it was just as bad as the first one. besides all the interface issues and inconviences, the sound quality is really sub par especially when compaired to the 4400. they're night and day different. if your not worried about all the app features than the 4400 is the way to go no doubt. but the 8400 is basically the same as the 4400 but adds the app support in a way better interface. I don't expect to sell many Z140's or X940's anymore because of the 8400 and the fact that most people these days have either an iPhone of Droid.

I made custom fiberglass dash's for a few of my cars to use an iPad as my source unit, and since I can send the raw digital signal directly from the iPad to my Audison Bit One DSP, its easily the best sounding setup I've ever had or seen or heard. iPad is perfect for the car and works great! now that the iPad 3 has voice dictation, I can just press the button, speak the name of a song and it plays it, i freakin love it and highly reccomend it! I can help you if your wanting to get an iPad up and running in there, I believe I did a 4th gen T/A and it turned out decent considering the shape and size of the dash, ill dig for a picture for you guys.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
I made custom fiberglass dash's for a few of my cars to use an iPad as my source unit, and since I can send the raw digital signal directly from the iPad to my Audison Bit One DSP, its easily the best sounding setup I've ever had or seen or heard. iPad is perfect for the car and works great! now that the iPad 3 has voice dictation, I can just press the button, speak the name of a song and it plays it, i freakin love it and highly reccomend it! I can help you if your wanting to get an iPad up and running in there, I believe I did a 4th gen T/A and it turned out decent considering the shape and size of the dash, ill dig for a picture for you guys.
I'm definitely Interested in those pictures.
I'm doing the same thing but for now Just a Iphone to a 4 channel amp to set of components and coxials.

My Iphone is connected to amp via simple 3.5 jack to rca cable.
I don't have a DSP but would you say thats something needed to get clear highs and lows.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I'm definitely Interested in those pictures.
I'm doing the same thing but for now Just a Iphone to a 4 channel amp to set of components and coxials.

My Iphone is connected to amp via simple 3.5 jack to rca cable.
I don't have a DSP but would you say thats something needed to get clear highs and lows.
I'm looking for the pictures, i can't remember when I did it so their hard to find...

no a DSP isn't necessary by any means, but it adds tons of control to the system that take it to the next level. features such as Time alignment, independant 31 band EQ, countless crossover points, bass control, volume control, and the ability to run your system active (without passive crossovers) which improves volume and clarity. you can also use a DSP with digital optical in as your DAC, most DSPs have really high quality DACs like those found in like a Denon reciever. I prefer the Audison DSPs, but the JBL-MS8 is also a nice unit. but the Bit Ten D is by far the best for the money ($600 retail)

the best thing to do without using a DSP is to use the HRT iStreamer ($200 retail) which has a great DAC and 5 volt pre outs which will really improve the sound by letting the amp get a cleaner signal and run more efficiently. the link below is to an article describing everyhting you need to use the iStreamer. If you want help figuring out digital optical to a DSP I can help, i have a few mothods I've used and all work well.

http://www.soundmancaraudio.com/arti...stallation-met
Old 08-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody had any experiences with the new AppRadio3's yet? SPH-DA110 and SPH-DA210. I'm thinking about getting one, I just dont want to spend the money and then be pissed
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Teching In

I tried out the app radio before I decided to go avic940bt it does everything I need it to do until I upgrade to iPhone 5 lol I have the 4s now and it works perfectly either plugged in or via bluetooth.

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Pioneer AppRadio?