Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Deck Not Working With Monsoon - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a aftermarket deck in my car... its hooked up but only 4 of the 8 speakers are working (rear axle hump and front tweeters work) I would like to know how to get the door and quarter panel speakers to work... is there a special harness or adapter? i tried search i found but nothing useful for the problems i'm having with the monsoon sytem...

The car also had cassette deck and a external CD changer...

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-17-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old 03-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Chances are they could be blown. Did you check all the wiring to speakers?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They just stopped working today? If so, then may have a connectivity issue or a bad amp.

You just bought the car and it was like this? If so, then yeah, likely blown speakers.

It's easy to pop the bezel off the dash and remove the HU deck, like a 5 minute job. Do a quick visual inspection and see if there is anything obvious.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Double-check the connection from the aftermarket headunit to the factory wiring. It sounds like there may be a loose connection. Either that or the amp or headunit has failed. Check the cheaper/easier issue first.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

by chance is the power for the amp hooked up by the deck? lol

alot of people just hook the deck up like normal but never hook the blue wire for the stock amp. the deck will work fine but no sound. if thats hook up right the stock ampspowers and the aftermarket unit wires. then i would say the stock amp is shot. i cant see all 6 speakers blown so no sound would come out.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Teching In

So i tested all the speakers (all of them work fine)...I think i see the problem now... The rear axle hump speakers and front tweeters work but don't have any amplification (Bass) so the amp is just acting like a pass through.. I found the Houston web page link for the amp pin out, but the isn't working does anyone have a amp pin out the car is a 1998 z28 camaro...
Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fueledsoul
does anyone have a amp pin out the car is a 1998 z28 camaro...
...if only we had a section, for Frequently Asked Questions, that we could keep for posterity at the top of this section of the forums... to help people with issues like this...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/5962246-post5.html
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Thanks, minus the sarcasm...

E11 - ORANGE - fused input feed
E12 - ORANGE - fused input feed

Where do these wires go from the amp? and "fused" as in fusible link or just a standard blade fuse? where are these located?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-17-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-amp.html
Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
by chance is the power for the amp hooked up by the deck? lol

alot of people just hook the deck up like normal but never hook the blue wire for the stock amp. the deck will work fine but no sound. if thats hook up right the stock ampspowers and the aftermarket unit wires. then i would say the stock amp is shot. i cant see all 6 speakers blown so no sound would come out.
The Monsoon amp uses signal sensing to turn on and doesn't have a remote turn-on wire like aftermarket amps.

Originally Posted by Fueledsoul
Thanks, minus the sarcasm...

E11 - ORANGE - fused input feed
E12 - ORANGE - fused input feed

Where do these wires go from the amp? and "fused" as in fusible link or just a standard blade fuse? where are these located?
The wires don't go anywhere - they supply the power to run the amp. Both orange wires are protected by the same RADIO ACCY fuse in the fuse panel at the end of the dash.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

So i tested a lot of things out... I'm getting power 12+ volts from the fuse block and thru the fuses on accy/radio and radio... I'm getting power from both orange wires on the amp... I check the continuity from the amp to all the speaker wires...tested all the speakers again but from the amp pigtail/harness.. I'm assuming my radio can be ruled out... I checked the radio wires... I also swap the radio from the camaro into my 1997 Chevy truck and everything worked including the speakers... Seems everything is pointing to a bad amplifier? any other tests i can do?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you did a good, thorough job isolating elements and eliminating possible faults.

http://www.thirdshiftstudios.com/monsoon.zip

3 main ways the amp can go bad... power supply, amp, and activation. So far as I know, there are no internal fuses or breakers to play with. I don't know of any schematics online for the PCBs. You could try taking it apart and looking for obvious damage... burned components, "burnt" smells, burst capacitors, etc.

Since you can get a working replacement on fleabay for under $30 shipped, I'd say trying to fix your amp at a PCB level is not a good use of your time. Remember Pontiac and Chevy versions of the amp are different.

...or, consider this a good crossroads/segway into an aftermarket powered system.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Teching In

I ended up replacing the amp a few month back... Everything works perfect now...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Deck Not Working With Monsoon - HELP!