Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LED Tail Lights Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LED Tail Lights Worth It?

Hey guys, I am about do a tail light wiring harness swap in my 97 Z28 to a 98+ wiring harness. This requires getting all new bulbs since they are all wedge style lights now. So I was wondering, Is it worth it to buy all LED's for the lights? Or maybe only some? I just dont know if they are going to be any brighter or better to be worth the money. I know for turn signals you have to get something else for it too. I just need to do it now because my brake lights barely work at all and I have some **** cops in my neighborhood. I have tinted windows and cant see out of my rear window so I dont know if investing in back up lights would be worth it or not. Let me know your opinions.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have always wondered if they actually make a difference with the way our tail light housing are as well.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

LEDs look good in the transparent red lenses that current cars have (my 02 Trailblazer even), but the 4th gens have the older style lenses that have the little prisms etched into the lens... I don't think LEDs look that hot in those.

I was actually looking for some aftermarket tail lights with transparent red lenses that I could maybe swap over to the factory housings, but failed miserably Nothing matched up.

What we need is some company to not make these ricer tail lights but take the stock design and just modernize the bulb reflectors and lenses. Or maybe come up with a good looking LED tail light assembly that looks like it belongs on the car.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got the LED bulbs in my 87TA...I am now looking at putting in sequential LED's
Old 03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pics?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and just got the regular bulbs, only cost $20, and did the swap today. Everything works great and it is nice to know that my brake lights actually work now. I am looking into getting new tail light lenses later on, and if they are more transparent, then I might get LED's. Plus, I live in St. Louis which is where superbrightleds.com is located, so I dont have to pay for shipping!

Quick Reply: LED Tail Lights Worth It?