Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

On / Off Switch for Carputer

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On / Off Switch for Carputer

I'm changing my system to a Carputer setup and want to be able to shut the computer down at any time for whatever reason. I'm going to run a 0 gauge wire from the battery to the computer and amp in the rear and I have a switch plate from emblem pro that I want to use to control the system.

Obviously I can't just connect that wire to my switch, so I was wondering what the best option would be to make this work.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a relay from the switch panel, then to the carputer. Probably want a higher amp relay than the typical 30, unless your computer draws very little power (less than 340w peak)
Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I looked into this a little bit and it looks like I can run a 0 ga wire from the battery to the rear. From there hook it up to a distribution block, there is a 40 amp relay that comes with a harness I can buy from amazon with 14 ga wire which should be okay since it would be about a one foot run of wire to a 250 watt power supply.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have thought about a carputer in the past, but discarded the idea.

I'm curios what your carputer consists of because these days you can just throw a tablet into dashboard (needs modification), if you are looking for simple maps/ multimedia.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 04-16-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
i have thought about a carputer in the past, but discarded the idea.

I'm curios what your carputer consists of because these days you can just throw a tablet into dashboard (needs modification), if you are looking for simple maps/ multimedia.
Well I really wanted to create a look that seemed to be OEM. Also, I wanted to have a lot of expandability. So that if I wanted to keep all of my movies, music or whatever I could do that. Additionally, I want to be able to add things like tire pressure monitoring that seems like the least amount of questions is with a carputer.

Going a tablet route may have been able to work out with all of that. But I pretty much had all the spare parts I needed laying around, so this works out for me to do it this way.

Quick Reply: On / Off Switch for Carputer