Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

DRL Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL Problem

After searching for a bit I can't find someone with a T/A that has the same problem as me. When my cars on my passenger side DRL's on but my driver side's not, when I turn my parking or head lights on the the driver side comes on. Brand new sockets, housing, bulbs, etc so that's all fresh. Anyone ever had the same symptoms as me?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The DRL bulbs are dual filament. The dim filament is for the parking lights and the bright filament is for the DRLs and turn signals. The first thing to check is the bulb (again) because one filament can be burned out while the other is still fine. Also, make sure it's a 3157 dual filament bulb and not a 3156 single filament bulb.

Then get a test light or multimeter and check for power on the blue wire at the socket. If there's power there then either the bulb or the socket. If not, you'll have to test at the DRL module inside the dash behind the radio. If there's power there then the wiring between the module and the socket is broken. If not, you probably need a DRL module.