Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2 jl 13.5 w7??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 jl 13.5 w7??

Can you fit two JL 13.5 inch W7 subs in the back hatch area in a 2000 camaro i know it will have to be a custom box but i just want to know if you guys think there would be enough room room to make a big enough box?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Teching In

trying to blow your hatch off? lol
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ghettocowboy248
that would be pretty funny lol they already broke 2 windshields in a vette haha
Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

depends, ported or sealed, sealed maybe but the height you need to get a wide enough top to mount you'll probably get to close to the hatch to allow there movement. ported, ah hell no, you'll get a LOT more bass if you can sacrifice your backseat to being a box with the face of the subs angled at the back glass. And if you dropping the money for 2 of them then you clearly want as much bass as you can get.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettocowboy248
ha. won't be no trying to it.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's a dumb question but why not just get 1 good 10" sub in a stealth box? That's what I have, it's MORE than enough bass...
Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Latch
Maybe it's a dumb question but why not just get 1 good 10" sub in a stealth box? That's what I have, it's MORE than enough bass...
Because its the best back massage on the planet, LOL
And to be frank it gets girls *ff way better then a burnout.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

There is room.. check out this old vid of some w6's I had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO4plyMWNqQ

If I remember correctly that was 1.8cubes sealed per sub. If you need more room you can see there is still more space to go taller and that box didnt go quite down to the bottom of the well area, so more space there too.

A good 10" sub in a stealth box is absolutely nothing compared to two 13.5 w7's, and unless ur a basshead you wouldn't understand.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
depends, ported or sealed, sealed maybe but the height you need to get a wide enough top to mount you'll probably get to close to the hatch to allow there movement. ported, ah hell no, you'll get a LOT more bass if you can sacrifice your backseat to being a box with the face of the subs angled at the back glass. And if you dropping the money for 2 of them then you clearly want as much bass as you can get.

I would really like to keep my back seat so I will most defiantly go sealed they are in a sealed box right and sound great but it will not fit in the hatch area so I'll deffiantly have a new box built
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by critical.in.ga
There is room.. check out this old vid of some w6's I had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO4plyMWNqQ

If I remember correctly that was 1.8cubes sealed per sub. If you need more room you can see there is still more space to go taller and that box didnt go quite down to the bottom of the well area, so more space there too.

A good 10" sub in a stealth box is absolutely nothing compared to two 13.5 w7's, and unless ur a basshead you wouldn't understand.

Okay sweet once I get my engine done and in the car I will be having a box built for the back! And yeah a 10 would spound good but it won't be crazy loud like I want haha
Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kooljames20
I would really like to keep my back seat so I will most defiantly go sealed they are in a sealed box right and sound great but it will not fit in the hatch area so I'll deffiantly have a new box built
My main reason for suggesting the back seat other then the space for a better box is you lose a lot of bass to the subs being behind the hump, also the seal on the back window is real easy to pop, it happened on my friends 96 bird and he didn't realize it and water got in and ruined the box (half the box was covered in MOLD).

To get room to mount those subs in the back the top plate will need to be at an angle, but you'll need to watch how much an angle so the subs still have room at the magnet side without hitting the back wall, also go ahead and replace ALL of your taillight bulbs as it will be a huge PITA to take the box out to change any bulbs that burn out.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

My main reason for suggesting the back seat other then the space for a better box is you lose a lot of bass to the subs being behind the hump, also the seal on the back window is real easy to pop, it happened on my friends 96 bird and he didn't realize it and water got in and ruined the box (half the box was covered in MOLD).

To get room to mount those subs in the back the top plate will need to be at an angle, but you'll need to watch how much an angle so the subs still have room at the magnet side without hitting the back wall, also go ahead and replace ALL of your taillight bulbs as it will be a huge PITA to take the box out to change any bulbs that burn out.
changing the tail light bulbs is defiantly a good idea i never thought of that. I've never heard of the back window seal blowing but that defiantly makes sense lol i do know these subs will cause damage because they broke 2 windshields in my dads corvette haha
Old 04-30-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

what you might be able to do is get a box custom built that flows like the subthump ttop box but it extends all the way down into the well and not just to the top of the ttop holders. plus it would probably have to extend to the back of the seats and take up the entire back floor space (area under hatch)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by my bandit
what you might be able to do is get a box custom built that flows like the subthump ttop box but it extends all the way down into the well and not just to the top of the ttop holders. plus it would probably have to extend to the back of the seats and take up the entire back floor space (area under hatch)
yeah thats also a good idea. I guess when you look back there is actually a good amount of room.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

And by the way in case anyone was wondering for a sealed inclosure they need 1.875 cu of space per sub.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

And by the way in case anyone was wondering for a sealed inclosure they need 1.875 cu of space per sub.
If I remember right don't they also call for a 1.5 inch MDF for the face the subs mount to?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

changing the tail light bulbs is defiantly a good idea i never thought of that. I've never heard of the back window seal blowing but that defiantly makes sense lol i do know these subs will cause damage because they broke 2 windshields in my dads corvette haha
It sucked, he ruined that box I built, you could push the glass up and down got such a gap you could stick your pinky in there.

We put that same sub into another box I built and put it in the blazer he had for a while and it was like 4 times louder.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

If I remember right don't they also call for a 1.5 inch MDF for the face the subs mount to?
im not sure on the specifics on that but the box they are in now is heavy as hell so you are probably right.
It sucked, he ruined that box I built, you could push the glass up and down got such a gap you could stick your pinky in there.

We put that same sub into another box I built and put it in the blazer he had for a while and it was like 4 times louder.
yeah that would suck and yeah they always do sound better in a larger vehicle
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

a pair of 13w7's is ridiculous insane bass. just 1 of them blow past my pair of 10w7's, hell a single 12 will keep up, and the pair of 10s is a **** load of bass, I've broken 3 trunk latches now . and yea they give a nice message and girls love it when their in the car.

The 13s will fit if in the right box, the space is there but their wont be any left. its going to require a ton of other upgrades, a giant alt and 2 batteries would be reccomended to start, plus 0 guage wire for every connection possible. I'd look into some nice HIDs so you can still have lights when bumpin at night. Sound deadening is going to be your best friend, as well as a sound barrier like mass loaded vinyl otherwise it will just sound like a big ratteling pile of crap. I give that rear hatch glass a few weeks at best its not as strong as a windshield...

as for why bigger cone subs sound better in larger cars has to do with how the sound wave develops. it takes longer for the soundwave off of a larger cone to fully develop as opposed to a smaller cone. I'm a total SQ guy, that's why the biggest sub I'll run in anything but an SUV is a 10. I have a single 12w7 on 2kw rms in my Denali and it sounds great, gets down a bit lower than my 10s but besides that it hits just as tight and sounds the same but in different enviroments. Alot of guys think they should match subs to the music they like but thats somewhat a myth. for example I love bass heavy music that has notes below 30hz and I still love the 8w7 and sundown sa-8 for that music. So for your Camero I would reccomend 3x 10s over 2x 13s and you would most likely have similar output with way better SQ for your car. also, I've come to find that W7's are most happy when they've got double their RMS rating to play with. the SQ actually gets way better and they handle the power in stride. I did a single 13w7 ported for a guy in his Excursion and did a pair of 1700w rms @1 ohm amps for a total just shy of 3200w and it was sweet. that was 5 years ago and the sub was still bumpin when he sold the car a few months back.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
a pair of 13w7's is ridiculous insane bass. just 1 of them blow past my pair of 10w7's, hell a single 12 will keep up, and the pair of 10s is a **** load of bass, I've broken 3 trunk latches now . and yea they give a nice message and girls love it when their in the car.

The 13s will fit if in the right box, the space is there but their wont be any left. its going to require a ton of other upgrades, a giant alt and 2 batteries would be reccomended to start, plus 0 guage wire for every connection possible. I'd look into some nice HIDs so you can still have lights when bumpin at night. Sound deadening is going to be your best friend, as well as a sound barrier like mass loaded vinyl otherwise it will just sound like a big ratteling pile of crap. I give that rear hatch glass a few weeks at best its not as strong as a windshield...

as for why bigger cone subs sound better in larger cars has to do with how the sound wave develops. it takes longer for the soundwave off of a larger cone to fully develop as opposed to a smaller cone. I'm a total SQ guy, that's why the biggest sub I'll run in anything but an SUV is a 10. I have a single 12w7 on 2kw rms in my Denali and it sounds great, gets down a bit lower than my 10s but besides that it hits just as tight and sounds the same but in different enviroments. Alot of guys think they should match subs to the music they like but thats somewhat a myth. for example I love bass heavy music that has notes below 30hz and I still love the 8w7 and sundown sa-8 for that music. So for your Camero I would reccomend 3x 10s over 2x 13s and you would most likely have similar output with way better SQ for your car. also, I've come to find that W7's are most happy when they've got double their RMS rating to play with. the SQ actually gets way better and they handle the power in stride. I did a single 13w7 ported for a guy in his Excursion and did a pair of 1700w rms @1 ohm amps for a total just shy of 3200w and it was sweet. that was 5 years ago and the sub was still bumpin when he sold the car a few months back.

I could go the 10 inch route that you stated but i already have the 13.5s also i already have a high output car audio battery to use, also a truck alternator.They will be powered by 2 jl 1,000 watt amps. i won't be doing this till about the middle of summer because i have to finish the motor first but i just wanted to know what I'm going to be up against.

Now do you guys really think it will cause that much damage to the car? i know they broke 2 windshield already but still lol I don't want to break **** and have to spend more money.

Quick Reply: 2 jl 13.5 w7??