Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

stealth sub installed and built amp rack today

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stealth sub installed and built amp rack today

finally got around to ordering a stealth box loaded with a kicker. sounds nice for what i need. downgraded from my 12in diamond. also had nowhere to put my amp as it was sitting in the cubby hole before so i built this amp rack/box thing lol. its my frist time building anything acually. i think it turned out nicely, didnt want my amp sitting in direct sunlight all day long. still wish i could do something about the wires but idk where/how to hide them without cutting my carpet. ideas?

sorry for crappy iphone pics and darkness.

btw the stealth box is from ebay fits great
Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

looks good & sub looks factory.

I 'd hide the wires more though.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put amp behind spare tire
Old 04-28-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Amp closer to the side panel, could take the wires straight out from there and under the panel, might see 1/2" - 1" of them? I just got done doing this yesterday
Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JrodCamaro
Amp closer to the side panel, could take the wires straight out from there and under the panel, might see 1/2" - 1" of them? I just got done doing this yesterday
those stupid latches are on the deck, i cant put the box on top of the latch. any way around this lol
Old 04-28-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Missed that part, I don't think I've ever seen them like that before. My first thought would be to remove the latches, are they just bolted in? As long as it hasn't left bad marks it would clean it up a little too. IMO
Old 04-28-2012, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Theyre bolted in but its like a weird bolt i dont have screw driver for
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got a close up of it?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Ill take one when i get Off work
Old 04-28-2012, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Id keep an eye on ur amp temp... its prolly gettin little to no air circulation in the cabinet u made for it, yes i saw that the ends are open but still.. jus a thought.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

It should be fine i dont drive far so it shouldnt over heat. Btw i Found the tool i needed here at work and took the latch off. The carpet is ruined under it. What if i use the bolt hole to mount the amp instead of the velcro im using now
Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

IMO never use velco, I've used it before and it got so hot the adhesive melted and it got all screwed up. My opinion is use the holes to bolt down your amp box. Only concern is with the latch on the other side it may look a little... strange? What were the latches used for?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

i would trash the box completely IMO. i know you worked hard on it but its kinda out of place. depending on how thin the amp is, can you mount it on the bottom of the ttop well? or the side against the front of the car
Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Idk what the latches are for. I read somewhere i think about baby car seats but idk. My amp wont fit at the bottom and im not risking drilling into my gas tank. Ill leave the both latch and move the box tonight ill post pics when im done
Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

latches are for baby seats..... they use a torq bolt most probably. Love the speaker box, but the amp box seeks out of place. I think the spare tire well idea would be excellent for the amp.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Agreed with above. Bottom of ttop well, or spare tire area. Only problem is that it will still show wires, unless you decide to pull carpet up and run it under. I haven't pulled that carpet up before so I'm not sure how easy it is. I guess we'll just see these pics.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is what I just did with mine recently.
I wish I had black carpet/seats so it looks more "in place", but IMO looks better than gray

stealth sub installed and built amp rack today-new-setup.jpg
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JrodCamaro
Agreed with above. Bottom of ttop well, or spare tire area. Only problem is that it will still show wires, unless you decide to pull carpet up and run it under. I haven't pulled that carpet up before so I'm not sure how easy it is. I guess we'll just see these pics.

well i looked into putting it in spare tire well but it wouldnt fit without removing the tire and i dont wanna do that. plus then i would have to replace power wire cause its not long enough because you should never splice a power wire. putting down by the ttops is useless cause then the ttops wouldnt fit in the holder and thats y i bought the stealth box in the first place.

anyways lol, i moved the box into place and it looks great, much better the in the middle (i agree it did look out of place). I havent mounted it yet because the torq bolt wasnt long enough so i have to run to homedepot tomorrow. im also thinking of putting what little bit of wire showing into a small piece of wire loom to make it not stick out so much.

here it is in place.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kylerobison
Idk what the latches are for. I read somewhere i think about baby car seats but idk. My amp wont fit at the bottom and im not risking drilling into my gas tank. Ill leave the both latch and move the box tonight ill post pics when im done
you wont drill into the tank if you put a piece of wood underneath it to hold it in place. you just lift up the carpet and then pull back the different carpet and attach it there
Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

use some self tapping screws that are just long enough to grab onto the sheet metal, you've got about an inch in between the sheet metal and the top of ur gas tank.

Quick Reply: stealth sub installed and built amp rack today