Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Radio Backlights Burning OUT!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Monsoon Radio Backlights Burning OUT!

Hi all,

Ok, I have the factory Monsoon Stereo in my SS. In a period of about 7 days 6 of the backlights in the radio burnt out. I also was getting the "ERR" msg so I purchased a mint condition factory replacement unit online.

BEFORE I install it, I have this question:

I have read that the backlights in these radios can burn out due to excessive amounts of power being sent to them upon starting the car, and I do not know if this was the reason for them burning out, or if it was simply the fact they were 10 years old lol.

Anyone have any reason to think that I should try to install a capacitor or inline fuse or something to regulate the power going into the radio from the + wire to prevent any possible dmg or burnt out bulbs in this new pristine radio?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhall83
should try to install a capacitor or inline fuse or something to regulate the power going into the radio
Not a capacitor but a voltage regulator might help. IMO - Just burn the new one out and replace with the proper 14 V bulbs. The unit you just got probably has some burned out bulbs aleady. (You'll only notice them when multiple go out next to each other.)
Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Good idea, I'll reserach that regulator. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhall83
Good idea, I'll reserach that regulator. Thanks for the input!
Its an "idea" but I don't think its the best one. (Even though I came up with it.) Voltage regulators get really hot and could set the dash on fire if not placed properly.

All cars have voltage spikes when they start. So, the problem isn't the voltage - but that the original radio bulbs can't take the pounding. Changing the bulbs to a heavier duty version is probably a more elegant solution.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 AM

Well, I ended up buying a "perfect condition" replacement Monsoon radio from www.replacementradios.com.

A++++ service. Shipped the same day, radio is perfect. Looks like it just came from the factory. If your going for the stock appearance, they're worth considering.

Quick Reply: Monsoon Radio Backlights Burning OUT!