Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

5 speaker Bose system help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5 speaker Bose system help!

I have a 95 Z28 with the 5 speaker Bose system. I currently don't have sound coming out of the door speakers at all. I have a JVC head unit that has been hooked up for 7-8 years with this system with no issues. I'm thinking that I either blew up the door speakers or the amps got wet(maybe through the door/window rail or bottom of door. Also the door speakers are very dry and almost falling apart. Does anyone know if in this Bose system a speaker other than the sub stops working will it make the sub play more highs and less bass? Because this seems to be what it sounds like. Also can the Bose speakers be replaced with another the same size and be hooked into the Bose amps? I was not sure because I thought the Bose ran at 2ohms and regular speakers are 4ohms? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1SWT95Z
Also can the Bose speakers be replaced with another the same size and be hooked into the Bose amps? I was not sure because I thought the Bose ran at 2ohms and regular speakers are 4ohms? Thanks for any help.
I wanna know this aswell, same setup 95 z28 5 speaker bose system, speakers are all at the end of there life.

Check connections, pull the headunit make sure the harness is seated properly, reset the headunits settings to factory, check to make sure the speakers are connected and if you hear even a slight hiss when they do get power, check voltage at the speakers and at the amps

I dont know anything about how this cars radio is setup as i just bought the car but those are the basic things i would look at if i had the issue on any car.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-02-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Launching!

I had to buy a crossover type thing to hook up to the Bose wiring when I put my JVC head unit in. Maybe I'll pull the head unit out and check the connections on that. When I bought the head unit, Crutchfield recommended using this crossover thing so it would work with the Bose system. It seems like the rear seat side speakers are working but nothing out of the fronts and a lot more treble out of the sub. As far as using a non Bose speaker, I'm still not sure about because of the ohms. Maybe another speaker will work just fine but not be as loud?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Teching In

Someone here has to know about he ohm difference, im pretty sure the monsoon had the 4ohm speakers i think since the bose is setup differently ,it uses a low-level, high-impedance signal for either three or five speakers that have individual amps attached.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The impedance of the speakers is not very important. The Bose system does produce low level, high impedance signal but that is for the individual amps not the speakers. I've never looked at the speakers individually since they are considered an assembly with each amp. Usually you replace the amp/speaker assemblies rather than just the speakers.

In any case, the impedance will usually be stamped on the back of the speaker magnet. As long as you don't go any lower than the original, you won't cause any harm by using different impedance.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Launching!

So WhiteBird you think putting another speaker at or above the ohms into the Bose amp should work?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Teching In

I wasnt looking at getting crazy i got my truck that has the big system this is just my dd and weekend autocross car, looking at doing some kicker ks series all aroud, Do you know what the factory subs specs are? and could i put a bigger amp/sub and use the stock headunit? i hate the look of aftermarket headunits in these cars.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Generally speaking, replacing a speaker with one of higher impedance will not be a problem. For example, if you replace a 2-ohm speaker with a 4-ohm speaker, you will cut the power in half which results in only a 3dB reduction in volume (about one click of the volume ****). It takes ten times the power to double the volume so you would have to go from 2-ohm to 20-ohm speakers to cut your volume in half. Also, the amp runs cooler because it is pushing less current through the speaker. Besides, many aftermarket speakers are at least 3dB more sensitive (efficient) than the stock speakers so that there ends up being no noticeable change in volume.

I have never tried to replace Bose speakers except as an assembly with the individual amp so I don't know if it is possible. Usually people upgrade to an aftermarket amp and new speakers at the same time.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Just went a pulled a speaker out stamped on back is as follows
:BOSE

A35kd:

first numbers the part number second one im not sure what it is

Quick Reply: 5 speaker Bose system help!