Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio shuts off turns back on all the time??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this sounds weird but I had this same problem you guys are describing in my 01 Grand Prix. It turns out I had one of those things from Progressive that would report my driving. I thought it was something like this but once I took that unit out everything was fine. So if anyone has one of these units take it out and see what happens.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
its your BCM, pop that thing out are re-solder the 5 connections, it takes an hour tops and it works like a charm, happens to most of us

Thanks, I performed the surgery and the operation appears to be a success.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 PM

Where is the BCM located at?
Old 03-20-2018, 07:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rkvarner43
Where is the BCM located at?
The location is described in the first post of the link in post #4 of this thread. It's under the dash behind the glove box.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:14 AM

Hey I have a 2013 camaro and after minutes of turning on the car the radio screen turns off. Any responce?
Old 01-05-2019, 03:24 PM

Default 2014 camaro radio turn signal brake,

GM's Number. 866-522-9559, its a safety hazard and should be a recall IMHO.. 2014 camaro Same issue, tried the white wire it did help a little especially in no cell service areas, still turning off and on loud popping very distracting for a driver. I called Gm they said they hadnt heard of this problem before. I told them about the guy that works for gm in florida that suggested this same fix. They took my suggestions but stated they wont do anything unless they have more than 1 complaint. Here is GM's Number. 866-522-9559, its a safety hazard and should be a recall IMHO..
Old 01-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by yepi
GM's Number. 866-522-9559, its a safety hazard and should be a recall IMHO.. 2014 camaro Same issue, tried the white wire it did help a little especially in no cell service areas, still turning off and on loud popping very distracting for a driver. I called Gm they said they hadnt heard of this problem before. I told them about the guy that works for gm in florida that suggested this same fix. They took my suggestions but stated they wont do anything unless they have more than 1 complaint. Here is GM's Number. 866-522-9559, its a safety hazard and should be a recall IMHO..
I assume this is a joke or a troll so I really shouldn't respond but really??? A safety recall because the radio cuts out? That's going to make you lose control of the car? Maybe you should drive with the radio off until you've had at least a couple of months driving experience.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I assume this is a joke or a troll so I really shouldn't respond but really??? A safety recall because the radio cuts out? That's going to make you lose control of the car? Maybe you should drive with the radio off until you've had at least a couple of months driving experience.
It's a brand new account with just the 1 post. Most likely robospam. At least it's not about keys and locksmiths this time lol
Old 02-01-2019, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I know that this is an old thread and I had the same problem however mine turned out differently. I bought a used bcm connected everything and it was still doing the same issue. I checked my old bcm and new bcm and the solders looked fine. It wound up being a loose wire (blue with white stripe) in the black harness. My father popped out every wire and reconnected them until they clicked in and he noticed the blue wire with the white stripe was giving a hard time. He finally managed to get it to click into the harness and now the issue is completely gone. Just another option to look into.

Last edited by Roarin_8; 02-01-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Default Battery

Same issue on my vehicle. I removed the negative (black) battery terminal for 1 minute. I reattached it, and the issue was fixed. 2014 Camaro LS
Old 04-08-2019, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by chevyjones
Same issue on my vehicle. I removed the negative (black) battery terminal for 1 minute. I reattached it, and the issue was fixed. 2014 Camaro LS
That's interesting information... except that none of the problems in this thread (other than the guy who thinks his should be a safety recall) were in 5th generation cars. The 4th generation audio systems are very old school and would not respond to a reset as yours did.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 AM

That's interesting information... except that none of the problems in this thread (other than the guy who thinks his should be a safety recall) were in 5th generation cars. The 4th generation audio systems are very old school and would not respond to a reset as yours did.
You're correct. It worked for a day or two and started acting up, again. Any ideas for solutions? I saw one person mention soldering the BCM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Repairing the solder on the BCM circuit board is a solution that applies only to the 4th generation f-bodies (1993-2002). It fixes a cold solder joint on the board which controls the retained accessory power circuit which powers the radio and the power windows. There is no equivalent solution for fifth generation (2010-2015) models that I know of.

Please describe your symptoms in more detail. Does the radio completely power off intermittently? Does it lose its time and settings? Does it stay on but lose sound output? Do any other systems fail at the same time? How often does it happen?
Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 PM

Repairing the solder on the BCM circuit board is a solution that applies only to the 4th generation f-bodies (1993-2002). It fixes a cold solder joint on the board which controls the retained accessory power circuit which powers the radio and the power windows. There is no equivalent solution for fifth generation (2010-2015) models that I know of.

Please describe your symptoms in more detail. Does the radio completely power off intermittently? Does it lose its time and settings? Does it stay on but lose sound output? Do any other systems fail at the same time? How often does it happen?
It powers off for a split second (with a distinct powering down sound), and then immediately comes back on. The radio (FM) does not work after this happens, but the AUX input does. It has severely diminished sound quality, though (static-y). Turning the car off and then back on restores the original radio condition. No other systems fail. This happens every time I drive now. Sometimes it will happen after 30 seconds (of turning the car on), and sometimes 20-30 minutes.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

This sounds like an internal problem in the head unit rather than an interruption of the power supply to it.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:33 PM

This sounds like an internal problem in the head unit rather than an interruption of the power supply to it.
I see. One user (Roarin_8) mentioned they found a lose wire in the head unit harness, and once reattached, the problem was completely gone. Does this sound viable to you?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

It is possible but unlikely unless someone has been working with the head unit in the past (replaced with an aftermarket unit or needed to remove it to get to something behind it). It is extremely unlikely for an undisturbed factory connection to come loose or disconnected. Even Roarin_8's comment applies only to an aftermarket system - we know that because he refers to a blue/white wire which doesn't exist in the factory wiring and is the remote amp turn-on wire for an aftermarket amp that is not even necessary with a factory system in a 4th generation f-body (the factory amp uses audio signal sensing).
Old 04-22-2019, 01:12 PM

It is possible but unlikely unless someone has been working with the head unit in the past (replaced with an aftermarket unit or needed to remove it to get to something behind it). It is extremely unlikely for an undisturbed factory connection to come loose or disconnected. Even Roarin_8's comment applies only to an aftermarket system - we know that because he refers to a blue/white wire which doesn't exist in the factory wiring and is the remote amp turn-on wire for an aftermarket amp that is not even necessary with a factory system in a 4th generation f-body (the factory amp uses audio signal sensing).
Got it. I've seen a few threads about people cutting a white wire in the head unit. I'm not really down with this. What are your thoughts on this option? Also, any other thoughts on what the issue could be?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I am unaware of any "cut the white wire" fixes. The only white wire discussions I've seen are about using the remote turn-on (white wire) in a Boston Acoustics equipped Camaro to turn on an aftermarket amp when upgrading.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:32 PM

I tried the "cut the white wire" solution, and it worked. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyqp...56453122830179

Quick Reply: Radio shuts off turns back on all the time??