Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauge lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge lights not working

Okay, I pulled out my stereo to add a steering wheel control interface to allow my steering wheel controls to work with my aftermarket Pioneer player. Everything with the player works fine but now my instrument gauge lights as well as my steering wheel lights aren't working. All other lights work just fine. I checked the fuses and the IP dimmer fuse was burned out. I replaced it, but the gauge lights still don't work. But they do light up whenever I lock or unlock my car, so I know the lights are fine. I unhooked the player to see if that was causing a problem, but they don't work with the player unhooked either. Did I maybe just knock a wire loose when I pulled out and re-installed the CD player? Anybody have any tips or thoughts?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

do camaros have lights for the door handles? if so do those work? get brighter or dimmer as you move the dimmer wheel?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Teching In

They do have some little lights on the doors for the window and lock controls. I'm not sure if those are working or not. I'll have to check tonight.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Teching In

The lights in the doors don't appear to be working at all either. All the fuses that seem like they'd have anything to do with the problem look good. I pulled the CD player back out today and did a visual inspection of any wires that are anywhere close to that area. They look fine and I just can't see how it would have been possible to have damaged any of them at all. I have no idea what to even check next. I really didn't want to have to take it into a shop but I sure don't want to tear apart my instrument cluster to try and find what the hell is going on either. I guess I just will try to drive as little as possible at night. I'm pissed because the only reason I've had to do any of this is because somebody broke out my window and stole the Alpine player I had put in previously.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Could it be a bad dimmer switch?