Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dead Speedometer, Just Replaced VSS...Nothing

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dead Speedometer, Just Replaced VSS...Nothing

Car has 77k miles on it, always been pretty reliable until yesterday on the way back home from after taking the GMAT, my speedometer decides to suddenly stop working along with the odometer. After doing a crapload of reading and researching last night, I narrowed it down to either the VSS or the wiring harness for it. Hoping it would just be the sensor, I installed a brand new VSS today (T56 btw) to no avail, so now I'm left to think it's the wiring, which I have NO IDEA how to route it from the PCM to the VSS if I had to rewire it, and I know the voltage has to be checked somehow at the wires but from what I understand they only give a reading if the wheels are moving... how am I supposed to lay under the car while moving the wheels at the same time? Thoughts and advice?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Do you still have the factory stereo? If so, does the automatic volume work? Turn the outer **** behind the volume **** all the way clockwise then check if the radio volume goes up at higher speeds. If it does then the problem is with your gauge cluster rather than the PCM or VSS. The radio uses the same VSS signal as the cluster.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Do you still have the factory stereo? If so, does the automatic volume work? Turn the outer **** behind the volume **** all the way clockwise then check if the radio volume goes up at higher speeds. If it does then the problem is with your gauge cluster rather than the PCM or VSS. The radio uses the same VSS signal as the cluster.
I do not, it is an aftermarket headunit, I did however try using cruise control, and it didn't work, although when I pulled the #7 fuse in and out from the side all of the gauges swept typical 99' style, including the speedometer, so does that mean the driver for the speedometer is okay and I can rule the gauge cluster out? I don't feel comfortable working with electronics so I'm thinking of having a shop fix the issue if it is the wiring. How much do you think that'd cost? Hopefully not too much?