Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

programming keyfob not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Kyle Kinnamon

Default programming keyfob not working

im new to this forum and a proud owner of a 2000 Camaro SS SLP that i just bought yesterday. the car came with a keyless entry keyfob but it doesnt work. i replaced the batteries. still nothing
ive tried every possible way to program the keyfob that i have found in forums and google but my locks are not cycling. ive tried it 3 different ways SEVERAL times but nothing happens. ive removed the radio fuse and even tried removing the power assy fuse while cycling the key and whatnot but the door locks WILL NOT cycle in order to program my keyfob! please help!1
Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The programming instruction are correct - you probably have a bad remote. You can try cleaning the board under the buttons, sometimes that will resolve problems where the buttons are not making contact.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Kyle Kinnamon

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The programming instruction are correct - you probably have a bad remote. You can try cleaning the board under the buttons, sometimes that will resolve problems where the buttons are not making contact.
AutoZone has a keyfob tester and it passed. But even if the Leyton wasn't working, the lock cycle during programming isn't working to be able to program the Leyton.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

What is a Leyton?

Are you sure you have factory keyless entry and that it hasn't been disconnected in favor of some aftermarket system?

You are following these instructions EXACTLY and you get no response in step 3?
1. Turn the ignition key to RUN, then to OFF. This will disarm the content theft-deterrent/alarm system (if equipped).

2. Remove the RADIO fuse. This fuse is located in the main fuse block which is located on the left side of your instrument panel.

3. Turn the ignition key from OFF to RUN three times quickly (within five seconds). The vehicle will respond by locking the doors, unlocking the driver’s door and releasing the hatch. Your transmitter is now ready to match the vehicle. Leave the ignition in RUN.

4. Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for 15 seconds. The vehicle will respond as in Step 3.

5. Repeat Step 4 for the remaining transmitters.

6. When you have finished matching all of your transmitters, turn the ignition off and replace the RADIO fuse.

7. Check that all transmitters work by pressing the buttons.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought mine it had bad remotes and they thought it had a problem with the alarm system. Bought new remotes and used the steps above and haven't had problems since.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Kyle Kinnamon

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
What is a Leyton?

Are you sure you have factory keyless entry and that it hasn't been disconnected in favor of some aftermarket system?

You are following these instructions EXACTLY and you get no response in step 3?
sorry, leyton is KEYFOB.. autocorrect. i tried that method, i did everything exactly how it says several times and after turning the key from off to run 3 times, the door locks never lock then unlock the door and hatch. it just doesnt do anything. it does have factory keyless as well. i check with the dealer, it has the "security" on the instrument cluster and has the red light on the dash.

Last edited by Kyle Kinnamon; 06-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The "SECURITY" light in the instrument cluster has nothing to do with keyless entry or an alarm system - it's for the passive VATS security system that checks the pellet on the ignition key each time you start.

The red LED on top of the dash does indicate a factory alarm system which was only available with keyless entry. There are only two possible reasons that the instructions above would not produce a response - the BCM is defective or a previous owner has bypassed the system for an aftermarket alarm setup.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Default Key Fob not working properly

Wanted to know if anyone can figure out the problem with my alarm ? My alarm was working perfectly normal till last Sunday I disconnected the battery for repairs on my clutch and since the battery is reconnected the key fob will not lock or unlock the doors . When I tried to rematch the key fob to the car the doors would lock and unlock , the trunk would do nothing and I would hold the lock and unlock button down at the same time for 30 seconds and the locks would never respond . As soon as I turned the key to the off position the car alarm would go off . If I hold the lock or unlock button down on the key fob , the alarm will go off . So there is a bond to the key fob but don't know why it won't lock or unlock the doors ? I got the car to go into the 4 different modes . I don't know which one is best ? Would appreciate any help I can get ! Thanks !
Old 07-23-2016, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Didn't mean to post off your post , having trouble figuring out how to do a new post . Sorry !
Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I would check the key fob first. It could have a weak battery or they are known for having problems with the switches on the circuit board under the buttons. Try a different fob - if you don't have one, they are cheap on ebay.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the information, I have 2 key fobs I ordered on Amazon.com I hope they work, thanks again, they are supposed to be coming in mid August, don't know why so long but I will let you know if they work!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I sure hope you didn't buy one of those overpriced ($55) ones they are selling there. They are available for less than half that with free 2-day shipping if you're a Prime member. Or you can get them for under $20 on ebay. Look for 16245100-29 (you want the 4-button version).
Old 07-26-2016, 06:03 PM
Teching In

I got 2 for about $35 if I remember right , it looks like my old one. My old remote used to work but stopped working properly after the battery was disconnected
Old 07-30-2016, 05:05 PM
Teching In

The 2 new key fobs showed up Thursday and just finished setting them up ! Very easy and works great! Thanks for the help, also switched alarm over to setting #4 because it sounded like the best set up . Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply: programming keyfob not working