Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is there any way to get a factory 12 disc changer to work on a '99 CD Head-unit???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there any way to get a factory 12 disc changer to work on a '99 CD Head-unit???

Well...i just bought a 12 disc-changer from another member of the board to find out that some '99 Monsoon CD Head-unit's are not able to control them...mine being one of those so now i can't even use it.

Is there ANY way to make it work with my head-unit
Old 04-01-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can I add a CD changer to my factory radio?
Yes, if you have a 98 or 99 than you must have the tape deck. You cannot add a Cd changer to a Cd Headunit in the 98-99 models. If you have a 2000-up then it doesnt matter. You can add a changer to either the tape deck or cd player headunit.

What CD changers will work?
Of course the AC Delco 12 disc changer will work. Alpines 6 disc (M-bus series) changer will work along with the Alpine adaptor. Kenwoods 10 disc along with the PIE adaptor also works. And finally Rockford Fosgates 6 disc change with the Periphial adaptor works. The Alpine adaptor was KCE202b. However they no longer make it. You may get lucky and find a shop that has one left over or you could try to find one on ebay.

How do I add the changer?
Both the Camaro and Firebird that are equipped with the Monsoon system are prewired for the CD changer. The plug is located behind the carpet that covers the drivers side cubby hole. Its wrapped in foam taped to the speaker harness usually. Plug in the appropiate adaptor and then plug the changer into the adaptor. No adaptors are needed for the AC Delco changer.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info...but my question is how to make the Factory 12 disc changer that i just bought work with my '99 Monsoon CD Head-unit
Old 04-01-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by firebirdude
Can I add a CD changer to my factory radio?
Yes, if you have a 98 or 99 than you must have the tape deck. You cannot add a Cd changer to a Cd Headunit in the 98-99 models.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta
Thanks for the info...but my question is how to make the Factory 12 disc changer that i just bought work with my '99 Monsoon CD Head-unit
What he's telling you is...You can't. You will have to replace the head unit with either a tape player or a later model single CD unit. That's not all that bad though, because you can usually find a head unit pretty cheap from someone who's upgrading.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some 99's might work, and you might get lucky.

if it does not work, buy one from a 2000+ car, and sell yours on ebay.

you can normally get 150 for them, i've bought them for $40-100 and sold for $75-150

Ryan
Old 04-02-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard some 99's came with this.
is there a way to find out

like look for the conector at the place were the CD changer would be (cubby hole)
or is there a way to look for this on the back.
i might just have to put in my apline then.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, although the change was made mid-year of the 99 model, there is no way to tell whether a 99 CD head unit will control a changer without trying it. Early 99 models would not control a changer but late 99 models would. All of the Monsoon equipped cars came with the harness for the CD changer even if they had a CD head unit that couldn't use it.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=firebirdude]Can I add a CD changer to my factory radio?
Yes, if you have a 98 or 99 than you must have the tape deck. You cannot add a Cd changer to a Cd Headunit in the 98-99 models. If you have a 2000-up then it doesnt matter. You can add a changer to either the tape deck or cd player headunit.

Be careful because I have a 2000 Formula and my CD head unit has failed to operate 2 different factory Delco changers!!
One of which the plug in the car it came out of perfectly matched the open plug in my cars trunk!!
I was told you need the serial numbers from the headunit/changer and call a good GM service department. They will contact Delco to coonfirm compatabilty.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by chief455
Be careful because I have a 2000 Formula and my CD head unit has failed to operate 2 different factory Delco changers!!
One of which the plug in the car it came out of perfectly matched the open plug in my cars trunk!!
A couple questions for you:
Did you check to make sure that the other end of the cable was actually attached to the back of the headunit?
Is that the original headunit, or has it been replaced (with possibly an earlier one before you bought the car)?

Originally Posted by chief455
I was told you need the serial numbers from the headunit/changer and call a good GM service department. They will contact Delco to coonfirm compatabilty.
Thats a good idea.

--VIP1
Old 04-07-2004, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=VIP1]A couple questions for you:
Did you check to make sure that the other end of the cable was actually attached to the back of the headunit?
Is that the original headunit, or has it been replaced (with possibly an earlier one before you bought the car)?

No.
I need to check the head unit because both changers had power, read the cd trays but did not recognize the discs in the trays - no matter what I tried that's what happened with 2 differnt model changers.
Maybe someone did switch the factory cd unit because they put some high power thumper in and needed to put it stock to trade the car in since I bought it at the dealer. It had Flowaster cat back on it telling me a stereo could have been in there as well.
I'll get it out and buy the right one if it's an older unit.
I like my steering controls and with a 12 disc changer will be fine for me
Old 04-09-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Chief455 I agree. I really like controlling the cd changer from the steering wheel. I have a 1998 TA with a CD head unit, and have been tempted to take the 12-disc changer out of my 1998 Olds Aurora just to see if it will control it. I know that GM didn't put the software in the CD head units in 1998, or the first half of 1999, but maybe somewhere along the way it was swithced.

Anyway, I've been looking for a Cassette Monsoon head unit, and have only found Camaro units on Ebay. A few years ago, when I had my last TA, there was a company that sold new OEM radio equiptment at less than 1/2 the GM price. But I can't remember the name, and I haven't found it doing a Google search.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Teching In

I wish I would have seen these posts out there before i purchased a Monsoon HU from EBay. It stated that it had the cd changer adapter plug on the back of the stereo. And it does, however, it was manufactured in 1997, so I'm guessing when I find a 12 disk changer it won't work?

Out of curiosity, any idea why that plug is on the back of the HU?

Jeff
Old 05-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

If your 1997 Monsoon HU is a cassette HU then you will be able to connect a CD changer to it. If it is a CD HU then it won't be able to control a CD changer - that capability wasn't added to CD head units until mid-1999. The 9-pin plug is on the back of the CD HU for controlling an external cassette tape deck which was available in some GM models (but never the Camaro or Firebird).
Old 05-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I was afraid, you would say that. Yep, it is a 1997 CD HU, not cassette. And I'm familiar with those external cassette players, A friend had one like that in his Blazer.

So, it looks like when and if I find a factory changer, I'll be looking for another 2000 model or newer HU to go with it. I'll have to sell this one back on Ebay.

Thanks for you help!
Old 05-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffL.
So, it looks like when and if I find a factory changer, I'll be looking for another 2000 model or newer HU to go with it.
Look for 2001+ if you can. It seems that the 2001+ models can accept more than one auxilary source, but You'll have to use an adapter from PIE or PAC to add the other sources (such as XM).