Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

TAIL TPS / Dimmer diagram

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAIL TPS / Dimmer diagram

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the TAIL TPS to DIMMER in the fuse pannel?
Old 05-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by srproductions
Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the TAIL TPS to DIMMER in the fuse pannel?
There's not much to it. The TAIL LPS fuse provides power to the headlight switch through the orange wire. When the headlight switch is in the on or park position it outputs power through the brown wire. That brown wire goes to the input side of the dimmer switch rheostat. The dimmer rheostat outputs variable voltage through the dark green wire to the IP DIMMER fuse in the fuse panel. Output from that fuse is on the gray wire and it goes to the instrument panel illumination.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There's not much to it. The TAIL LPS fuse provides power to the headlight switch through the orange wire. When the headlight switch is in the on or park position it outputs power through the brown wire. That brown wire goes to the input side of the dimmer switch rheostat. The dimmer rheostat outputs variable voltage through the dark green wire to the IP DIMMER fuse in the fuse panel. Output from that fuse is on the gray wire and it goes to the instrument panel illumination.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

WhiteBird00 - can you please tell me how to wire a toggle switch in place of the IP Dimmer?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I'll need more information... what is it that you are trying to accomplish? And why would you want a simple on/off switch that removes all control of dash brightness instead of the proper rheostat?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

I'll need more information... what is it that you are trying to accomplish? And why would you want a simple on/off switch that removes all control of dash brightness instead of the proper rheostat?
okay. switch is cracked blows the 5 amp fuse like popcorn. i removed it, and have a pretty cool looking toggle to replace it with, red LED and what not. ive tried wiring up the switch but no combo ive found makes any of the HVAC or guage lights come on. however i can get about 4 different ways to get dome and mirror lights to come on with it. i know bulbs are good. if there is another problem its past the switch and before the bulbs, and i have no idea how to search for a problem with that. but im 99.9 % sure its just the old switch. so looking to bypass it seeing as i have no concern for the dimmer. i prefer the full brightness. plus it would be a neat little appearance upgrade. i was going to wire the HVAC and deash lights on one switch, and the interior lamps and dome light on another. this mod wont cause my car to burn down though will it? lol
Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Your assumptions are incorrect. The 5A IP DIMMER fuse is after the switch in the dash light circuit so a bad switch would not cause that fuse to blow. You've got a short someplace else in the circuit after the fuse. A bad dimmer switch would cause the 20A TAIL LPS fuse to blow.

Besides, there would be no need for a switch if you just want to leave the lights at full brightness all the time - just splice the brown wire to the dark green wire at the original dimmer switch. And then plan on never driving outside well lit city areas at night because the bright dash lights will destroy your night vision in dark rural areas.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Your assumptions are incorrect. The 5A IP DIMMER fuse is after the switch in the dash light circuit so a bad switch would not cause that fuse to blow. You've got a short someplace else in the circuit after the fuse. A bad dimmer switch would cause the 20A TAIL LPS fuse to blow.

Besides, there would be no need for a switch if you just want to leave the lights at full brightness all the time - just splice the brown wire to the dark green wire at the original dimmer switch. And then plan on never driving outside well lit city areas at night because the bright dash lights will destroy your night vision in dark rural areas.
well over a week ago i had the 20A tail lights fuse blow on me. and the radio. and i think maybe the courtesy if i remember right. replaced all the fuses and all worked except the 20A tail lights fuse, which would blow immediately upon turning the parking lights on. it was due to a loose wire on the drivers side rear bumper where i had shaved and deleted my side markers just before paint. so i unplugged the connector (runs both rear side markers and the license plate light) i never use any of those. so after i did that car acted right. then the other night, i drag raced against a friend. and after ward stopped and spoke to him, then when pulling out, gave 1st gear a little romp, and the car got a little jumpy. my dash lights immediately went out. and it was only the 5A IP Dimmer fuse that blew. i replaced the fuse and it blew immediately. i took out the dimmer switch to find the circuit board looking correct. but i decided i wanted a toggle and swapped it. if i leave the stock dimmer switch on low, the fuse doesnt blow, but i have NO light when i should have LOW light. with the new toggle the fuse doesnt blow either, but again same story, NO light. its wired right. so shouldnt the fuse continue to blow since i havent found the real cause yet? i am about to go try to trace everything from the end of the brown wire to the instrument cluster.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

That makes perfect sense. When you have the dimmer switch turned all the way down, the rheostat (dimmer switch) is limiting the voltage going to the rest of the circuit so there isn't enough to blow the downstream IP DIMMER fuse. Turn it up and the fuse blows. You have no light because the combination of reduced voltage and a short somewhere in the circuit is limiting the current reaching the bulbs.

I assume you're not driving on the street with disabled markers and license lights? That's why you don't care about having a proper dimmer?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

That makes perfect sense. When you have the dimmer switch turned all the way down, the rheostat (dimmer switch) is limiting the voltage going to the rest of the circuit so there isn't enough to blow the downstream IP DIMMER fuse. Turn it up and the fuse blows. You have no light because the combination of reduced voltage and a short somewhere in the circuit is limiting the current reaching the bulbs.

I assume you're not driving on the street with disabled markers and license lights? That's why you don't care about having a proper dimmer?
yeah, i found the problem after the fuse and before the connector to the HVAC lights the grey wire was causing it. its very difficult to get back in there with out tearing out the entire dash, but i just pulled about 2 inches of slack out of the wire and its been working like a charm with the new switch. love it. im just hoping hitting the next big pot hole wont trigger it again. i dont expect it to.

and in backwoods eastern TN, folks are doing good to drive with a front windshield or hood or doors. lol we dont have emissions here either. plus it helps that my father is a sherriff's deputy. lol so all the cops in the county already know my car. so the amount of leniency i have to play with is just about anything excusing somethings where you would be jaw dropped that it was actually on the road.

but idc about the dimmer bc ever since i have owned the car i always drive with it on as bright as it will go. its never once hindered my vision.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

WhiteBird00 need some help again. my lights are working great. but now about 45sec-1min after i put the car in drive, my alternator quits charging the car. or at least the gauges tell me that. it moves down to about 9-10 volts which im assuming is what the battery is giving it bc the gauge usually sets between 12-13. so when i got the car home last night i pulled the positive side of the battery and it shut off. indicating the alternator wasnt not giving juice. then restarted the car and tried it again, but when i restarted the car, the gauge was reading right, and the check gauges light was not on. and when i pull the + side on the battery the car continued running. so im assuming its a connection problem, as i just had the alternator rebuild by a shop with a very good reputation for their alternator work. my question is where in the heck do i start looking? would i have caused this problem pulling and tugging on the wires behind my gauge cluster when i was searching for the problem that was causing my IP Dimmer fuse to blow?

Quick Reply: TAIL TPS / Dimmer diagram