Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best Sound Deadening Placement

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Sound Deadening Placement

Hey guys, im about to install 120sqft of raammat sound deadening mat plus 70sqft of ensolite ps (open cell foam) in my camaro this weekend and was wondering wuts the best placement for the mat and for the open cell foam i have?

Are there any specific spots i should layer up on the matting or any specific spots i should be using the foam?

And altho, ive already researched it a bit, do you guys have any install tips? every lil bit helps, thanks in advance
Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Raammat, you want to put on any large panels that can reverberate like a gong... door panels, floor pans, etc. I think more than one layer is excessive. Some experts will tell you that just one little piece in the center of a large panel (anchored on its edges) is adequate. I think a lot of people go overkill with this. All you want it to do is damp panels from vibrating.

Ensolite, you want a patch behind speakers (like a baffle in a large home speaker enclosure), and over areas where you expect external noise... like the firewall for motor noise, over the rear fenders for wheel noise, wherever wind noise is high. I've debated putting some on the top side of my T-top shades, because the glass roof on our cars is the source of a lot of wind noise.

Last edited by Capricio; 08-16-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the help man! I have enough raammat thar ill likely cover everything as much as possible including doors and roof. So ensolite behind speakers, anywhere else I should I focus it?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Veteran

^ The trunk area. When I did my deadening install, I covered every square inch of exposed metal throughout the car. Trunk area will kill some exhaust drone, not to mention it's a big rattle spot with subs installed.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bough 90sq ft of secondskin damp pro. Its comin this week. Are you doing the roof also? I'm going to order some cell foam also. Just not sure how much yet. With 120sq ft I'm sure you can cover everything.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

I bought enough so that if I'd like to, I can addan extra layer in the trunk area and trans tunnel. And yes, I plan on doin the roof as well
Old 08-23-2012, 06:07 AM
On The Tree

There is a lot of literature out there on this subject.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Best resource I have found.

The asphault based or similar materials like dynamat or Raamat are designed to stop vibration and not absorb sound. It does stop vibration but does a pretty poor job of stopping sound from coming into the vehicle. Do not just coat every square inch of your interior with the Raamat and expect the road/wind/exhaust noise to be significantly reduced because it won't be. Trust me, that is what I did and it didn't work. The best way to stop road noise is by using the Raamat on large panels like mentioned above, anything over 75% coverage is useless, then use a closed cell foam, layered with MLV. Most guys make removeable panels for the different sections of the car and attach them with velcro strips. Everything is explained perfectly in the link above.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-27-2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 08-23-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed. Although I don't think anything said on this forum will ever stop people from putting in multiple layers of CLD, and becoming enchanted with photos of shiny foil canvassing an entire stripped interior.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FirebirdTransAm
The asphault based or similar materials like dynamat or Raamat are designed to stop vibration and not absorb sound. It does stop vibration but does a pretty poor job of stopping sound from coming into the vehicle. Do not just coat every square inch of your interior with the Raamat and expect the road/wind/exhaust noise to be significantly reduced because it won't be. Trust me, that is what I did and it didn't work. The best way to stop road noise is by using the Raamat on large panels like mentioned above, anything over 75% coverage is useless, then use a closed cell foam, layered with MLV. Most guys make removeable panels for the different sections of the car and attach them with velcro strips. Everything is explained perfectly in the link above.
ive also got ~70sqft of ccf as well for my install
Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fudge. Now I want to redo my ghetto sound deadening project! Thinking of using those tiles along with the MLV on top but how many square footage do you guys recommend?

I was thinking:

- 25 of the 6"X10" CLD tiles
- 67.5 sq/ft of the MLV
- (1) 1/8" thick - 36"X54" CCF (for center console)

Sound good? Sorry for the thread hijack!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Don't sweat it man, any info in this thread is good in my books
Old 08-26-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Avaric3
Don't sweat it man, any info in this thread is good in my books
Have you looked into returning your Raamat for some of the products mentioned in this thread? I'd hate for my car to smell like asphalt and have issues with adhesion on vertical panels. Plus it sounds like 120 sq/ft of the sound deadener is overkill.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Have you looked into returning your Raamat for some of the products mentioned in this thread? I'd hate for my car to smell like asphalt and have issues with adhesion on vertical panels. Plus it sounds like 120 sq/ft of the sound deadener is overkill.
Raammat doesn't have asphalt or adhesion issues. It's dynamat, fat mat, peel and seal that have asphalt and sticking probs so im clear
Old 08-27-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Avaric3
Raammat doesn't have asphalt or adhesion issues. It's dynamat, fat mat, peel and seal that have asphalt and sticking probs so im clear
Oh, OK. What about returning some of the Raamat? Are you still going to cover the entire inside with the Raamat?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used StreetWires Noise Killer 3.0MM - Really did a great job imo.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Launching!

I though the owner of ratmat owned a roofing company and it was just renamed and sold as car material. Google it. I could be wrong though. I just got my secondskin damplifier pro in the mail. I got 90sq ft and this **** is heavy! Makes me really hesitient to use it all.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lizard skin. Lol
Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here is how mine came out after i was done with the raamat and the extra layer of padding. i also redid my carpet padding with Jute, but didnt take pictures of that. no more Torque arm wine from the relocated mount. nice and quiet inside on the freeway with the windows up. i payed special attention to the area on the tunnel near the transmission and torque arm mount. these were the areas i deemed to be the most noisy.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

You're confusing raammat wit fat mat I think. Its fat mat that is owned by a roofing guy. Raammat is certainly diff going by just looking at the adhesive and the foil layer compared to the fat mat (I got my hands on some to compare) the adhesion is also much stronger on the raammat. Worth noting, is that before I installed the ensolite (ccf), the sound level didn't change much from just the raammat. Once I put in the ensolite it was like nite and day. I'm EXTREMELY pleased wit the results and I havent even done the roof. I'd say I covered about 75% wit the mat and about 90% wit the ccf
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Yes I never heard of raamat. Though you misspelled it. Ratmat is the roofing stuff. What ccf did you use?

Quick Reply: Best Sound Deadening Placement