Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Suggestions wanted for Where to Install a Second Radio

Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions wanted for Where to Install a Second Radio

Without getting into too many details, I'd like your thoughts, but you must accept that I need to keep my factory radio and install a second radio, a single DIN radio. I just need suggestions for where I could mount the aftermarket Single DIN radio and it not look too crazy or stupid.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

how about...the glove box.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

If you are talking about some cars where the factory radio handles certain functions/features of the car, I've heard of people moving the factory radio to the trunk (which requires extending wires) and putting the aftermarket radio in the dash where the factory radio used to be.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm cool with the idea but if you dont mind me asking, what is the purpose?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Teching In

x2 what is the purpose ?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x3 ^^
Old 06-14-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an idea , but If he doesn't wana say it I won't give it away for him.

btw OP, I wanted to do a radio delete so I ran my speakers off a 4 ch amp and Half din eq between the amp & my Ipod.
Pretty sure the sound quality isn't up to par if you are audio junkie but its good enough for me. You can go this route if you are planing to use your factory radio for something else
Old 06-14-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lol i feel like this is some kind of conspiracy theory! I feel left out! What else can you "use the factory radio for"?

Is this some area 51 ****?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Probably wants to keep the factory radio to make it appear stock (to ward off thieves, etc), and use the aftermarket radio to power his speakers and whatnot.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bjernigan
Without getting into too many details, I'd like your thoughts, but you must accept that I need to keep my factory radio and install a second radio, a single DIN radio. I just need suggestions for where I could mount the aftermarket Single DIN radio and it not look too crazy or stupid.
As long as you disconnect the speaker wires from the factory radio (you don't want feedback from one headunit going to the other or the power of 2 headunits going into the speakers) this is safe to do, I knew a guy who had a cavalier and he put one vertical in the center console so when you close the lid its hidden.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Wow, I'm sorry guys, I didn't get subscription updates to this thread for some reason and this forum doesnt have Tapatalk or the like...

I want to keep the factory radio because I like the stock look. I have a nice bluetooth adapter that I installed to the CD changer input that works great. However, I have a Kenwood radio with an unlocked Sirius tuner that was never disabled years ago when i stopped paying, So.. I'd like to be able to install that Kenwood somewhere in the car and wire it into my aux input also.

I must say I gave up hope and prob. wont be messing with it. Unless someone can help with some cool out of the box idea that I havent thought of. The best I have so far is to remote mount the kenwood and make the face plate permanently detached by making an umbilical cord for it (if you'll permit the use of that word, lol) and put the faceplate in the center console.

Search this Thread