Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon display died

Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Monsoon display died

My display on my monsoon head unit appears to have died. I searched and saw some suggestions to shine a flashlight at it and see if you can still faintly see the radio station change and I tried that but I couldn't see anything changing which leads me to believe that a burnt out bulb is not the problem. Everything else works fine with it and everything else lights up, just not the display. I also saw some posts that a solder joint could have a hairline crack.
I am semi-familiar with the inside of the unit (have replaced the bulbs with LEDs on friends units) but I could use some guidance on where I should look to find the possible solder crack or if anyone has some other suggestions on what could have happened.
Thanks for any help.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try "thwapping" the display plastic with your finger. If that brings the display back, it's likely cracked solder joints.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...n-display.html
Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

It could be any of the small pins of the display. Look at the back of the board and re-flow the solder to those pins. There is a pic in the thread posted above.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I dug into it this morning...flicking the screen did nothing. I didn't see any signs of obvious cracks so I re-soldered every joint on the display board and no change
Also I didn't see any light bulb behind the display just the little ones behind the buttons so I don't know what people are talking about with checking the bulb for the display??
Friday when I started the car it worked for a second then dimmed out to nothing and has been dead since.
Everything else still seems to work fine though.
Any ideas for what to try next?
I don't want to just throw an aftermarket stereo in (I like the OEM look).
Thanks again for the help!

I should add that this is a 2002 camaro monsoon and this is what my board looks like:
http://xse.com/leres/ss/images/led2-sm.html

Last edited by zfastss; 08-18-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Search this Thread