Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

INSTALL GUIDE: Replacing 6.5" Monsoon Subs w/ 8" Rockford Fosgate Subs

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, everything is stock except the subs and the 4 component speakers in the front doors. I actually installed those about a year or two ago, they're Rockford Fosgate P1652-S component speakers. I went around to a lot of audio stores, large and small and listened to as many setups as I could. This one sounded best to me and was in my price range. Because I've been so happy with those 4, I chose to stick with the Rockford Fosgate subs--plus they're the only shallow mount subwoofers out there, as far as I know.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all that work and no dynamat?
Old 02-12-2017, 04:22 AM
TECH Resident

Bumping this thread with fixed pics, since the links were long dead. Also some images of Damplifier Pro sound insulation I had added back in 2013. I still love this setup, so I am hoping someone else will find it useful.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Nice write up! so with the camaros being 2 ohms, how would i go about wiring them up?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

See step #25:
Connect wires. On Firebird/Trans Am, simply connect red-to-red and black-to-black. 4 wires, 4 connections. On Camaro, Rockford Fosgate recommends splitting the red wire to both red connections and the black wire to both black connections. You can simply connect to one side, and then jumper that using a short set of wires to the red and black ports on the other side of the speaker (again, red-to-red and black-to-black). In this way, the DVC speaker is now running at 2 ohms, which is what the factory Camaro SVC subs are rated at, as opposed to dual 4 ohms in the Pontiacs.
So you can either split the red wire to touch both red connectors and the black to touch both black, or you can connect the red to one side, then add a second short wire that jumps from the first red connector to the second, and again, same for the black. It makes no difference which of these you choose, as electrically, they are the same.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Very detailed write up, thanks, are you still using the factory head unit? I know it says you are in a post from 2012, just wondering if you ever changed it and if so I'm guessing that wouldn't have any affect on these right?
Old 02-16-2017, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks. Yes, I am still using the Monsoon factory head unit. About the only thing I am missing from it, is HD radio. Not satellite like XM, just a high def digital radio version of FM. With a system this good, it is easy to hear how much better CDs (even ones made from mp3s) sound compared to FM.

As long as the aftermarket head unit uses the Monsoon amp near the spare tire in the same fashion, it should work the same. Obviously, there are a lot of possibilities for how someone could have set up an aftermarket system, so it is hard to say definitively without seeing what your specific setup is, but if you didn't have to rewire to the amp or subs, it should work.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Glad to see this has worked for you in the long term. Definitely interested in giving this a try.

Admittedly I'm trying to compensate a bit, for my noisy cam/headers/exhaust setup. I'm looking for something stock-looking that can take a beating at volume.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Some good stuff here. If I ever find myself looking to upgrade this is the route I'll be going. Thanks.

Quick Reply: INSTALL GUIDE: Replacing 6.5" Monsoon Subs w/ 8" Rockford Fosgate Subs