Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new headunit causes sail panel subs not to work with Monsoon Amp

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
...The 4 tweeters are driven directly from the head unit.
No, Robzombie is correct. The Camaro Monsoon system has 8 speaker locations which are all powered by the 8-channel Monsoon amp (including the door tweeters).

The Firebird version of the Monsoon system has 10 speaker locations and the sail panel subs are DVC making a total of 12 channels so the 8-channel Monsoon amp powers everything except the tweeters which are driven directly by the head unit.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Did not read the thread all the way through but my guess is install error. I recently installed a Kenwood Excelon X998 in my 02 Z28 with a Kee Audio level 2 package and everything works and sounds great. I was underwhelmed with the sound until I ditched the stock HU. That thing is a POS.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So on an Aftermarket HU, do we use the RCA outputs with a line output converter OR using the factory GREY-TAN. DK Green-LT Green. ETC...
Old 10-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, Robzombie is correct. The Camaro Monsoon system has 8 speaker locations which are all powered by the 8-channel Monsoon amp (including the door tweeters).

The Firebird version of the Monsoon system has 10 speaker locations and the sail panel subs are DVC making a total of 12 channels so the 8-channel Monsoon amp powers everything except the tweeters which are driven directly by the head unit.
I assume somewhere in the harness the front and back speaker wires get split off to the tweets and monsoon?
Old 10-05-2017, 03:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by QuadRAGIN
So on an Aftermarket HU, do we use the RCA outputs with a line output converter OR using the factory GREY-TAN. DK Green-LT Green. ETC...
Use the RCA outputs only when connecting to an aftermarket amp. The Monsoon amp uses speaker-level input so you connect an aftermarket HU just as you would with a non-Monsoon system... get a harness adapter, wire it to the HU and plug the whole thing into the factory wiring. A LOC is used to convert speaker-level signal to pre-amp (line) level so it would only be used to step down the speaker-level signal if you were adding a secondary amp for a sub or something (regardless of head unit).
Old 10-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by QuadRAGIN
I assume somewhere in the harness the front and back speaker wires get split off to the tweets and monsoon?
In a Firebird, the speaker-level output from the head unit is split to power the front and rear tweeters directly as well as providing input to the amp. All of the other speakers have their own individual channels from the 8-channel Monsoon amp.

In a Camaro, all eight speaker elements (including tweeters) have their own individual channels from the Monsoon amp.

Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky for additional information.

Quick Reply: new headunit causes sail panel subs not to work with Monsoon Amp