Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Doors Unlock But do not Lock...Need Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doors Unlock But do not Lock...Need Help!!!!

I have a 99 camaro and i installed a viper 5204 alarm/remote start system. Everything worked for a few minutes after I figured out how to wire the 5-wire relays for the door lock and unlock to work.

After it worked for a matter of minutes the doors stopped unlocking and locking with the key remote and the switches inside the car. I realized that I blew a courtesy fuse and after i replaced it the doors began to unlock but they still do not lock. For those that know, the door actuator in the camaro lock with a negative and unlock with a positive charge. however with a multimeter i figure out that the lock wire going to my doors is negative and when i hit the lock button it produces a positive charge. I need to know how this polarity changed because it used to be positive and when i hit the lock button a negative charge.

Tested the actuators and they work and the bcm also works. The car is drivable and everything else works fine. I just i have to manual lock my doors now, but of course i can unlock them with the remote or the switches inside the car. I have tried everything under the sun including disconnecting the battery cables so things can reset and the relearn sequence for the VATs system. If anybody has anything to add please comment as I would appreciate it.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It is quite possible that you have the alarm connections incorrectly wired since you made an incorrect assumption about the functioning of the door locks. The door locks are always activated by a positive pulse. The pulse just gets switched from one wire to the other depending on lock or unlock (i.e. the BCM merely switches polarity of the two wires going to the lock actuators).

So the grey "lock all" wire is fed positive voltage and the tan and the grey/black wires (left and right respectively) are passed to ground when either the lock switch or the lock button on the remote is pressed. Conversely, the first press of the remote unlock button sends positive voltage to the tan wire and directs the grey wire to ground to unlock the driver's door. The second press of the remote unlock button sends positive voltage to the grey/black wire as well as passing the grey wire to ground to unlock the passenger's door.

You cannot control the door locks by merely switching the ground - you must provide both power and ground and reverse the polarity as required.

Viper systems use the input (switch) wire to control locking since that one signal will lock all doors. So you should connect the positive lock pulse from the alarm system to the red/black wire in position C of the green 6-pin connector at the BCM.

The system uses the output (lock actuator) wires to control unlocking in order to retain the "press once for driver's door, press twice for both doors" unlocking sequence. That means that the power unlock wire from the alarm must be connected to the tan and grey/black wires using the 5-wire relay setup. If you don't care about the sequential unlocking, it is much easier to wire the alarm's unlock wire to the orange/black wire in position D of the 6-pin green connector at the BCM. That is the switch input wire that will make both doors unlock with one press of the remote button and eliminates the need for the 5-wire relay setup.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Ok yea my mistake your are correct about the wiring. But for some reason I still cannot get the doors to lock properly, but of course they still unlock fine. I have taken everything from the viper system off minus the remote start harness and I have but all the original wires back to original and still not lock doors. However I can arm my alarm perfectly and disarm it but the door still does not lock. I have been hearing from some others that maybe it could be a fuse under the hood or something. do you know if it could be anything like that?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The only fuse in the power lock circuit is the COURTESY fuse in the instrument panel fuse panel. It actually protects the Body Control Module (BCM) which in turn controls the door locks. Lock and unlock use the same circuit (just reversed polarity) so if one works, the other is not suffering from a lack of power such as a blown fuse.

Your problem is either the door solenoids (although it's unlikely that they would both go at the same time), your wiring, or the BCM itself.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:06 PM

ok thanks for the help. it was the bcm. i had to re-solder a point in the bcm now everything work fine. thanks

Quick Reply: Doors Unlock But do not Lock...Need Help!!!!