Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

rear hatch doesn't open like its supposed to.. help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear hatch doesn't open like its supposed to.. help

So basically when i push the button it pushes the hatch up, but when i lift on it it wont come up. But if i use the key button and hit the button and lift up at the same time i can get it off. Im pretty sure its not supposed to be that way. Can someone tell me whats wrong. Is there something that needs to be adjusted? is the electronic release going?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the EXACT same thing, basically its worn out. what is happening is the the spring is either lost its tension or the piece attached to the spring (circled in red) is bent out of shape so the force isn't being directed right, I bent it back in and sometimes it will pop up enough to not need me to lift up on it but 99% of the time I still do.
Attached Thumbnails rear hatch doesn't open like its supposed to.. help-latch1.jpg   rear hatch doesn't open like its supposed to.. help-latch2.jpg  
Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Teching In

I'm assuming your talking about an f-body. Its a pretty common problem. I read a thread on here a couple years ago that shows how to fix it. Just add another spring to the release mechanism in the trunk. fixed mine
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chawlz
I'm assuming your talking about an f-body. Its a pretty common problem. I read a thread on here a couple years ago that shows how to fix it. Just add another spring to the release mechanism in the trunk. fixed mine
i figured it might be common, is there a special spring i need? or just any spring that matches the one that is there?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Did this years ago and has been "popping" open great since http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ease_fix_2.htm
Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol I think this was the first mod I did to my car, put the spring in and it worked like a charm. Now even with the second spring it doesn't pop on the first try. Guess I'll have to try another spring.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Latch
Lol I think this was the first mod I did to my car, put the spring in and it worked like a charm. Now even with the second spring it doesn't pop on the first try. Guess I'll have to try another spring.
Gotta do the triple spring. lol Thanks guys for the info glad to know it was an easy fix
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for an additional/stronger spring. Worked great for me for quite a while. Mine now is back to its old ways though, and I believe its because the actual metal lever not being in the original position. I tried bending it some, still not quite popping. I'll take a look at it again but do yourself a favor and inspect the latch on the actual hatch. Mine shows wear on the very inside edge, which is how I know at this point that its the lever. That should give you a clue of the actual problem.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Latch
Originally Posted by bill12690
+1 for an additional/stronger spring. Worked great for me for quite a while. Mine now is back to its old ways though, and I believe its because the actual metal lever not being in the original position. I tried bending it some, still not quite popping. I'll take a look at it again but do yourself a favor and inspect the latch on the actual hatch. Mine shows wear on the very inside edge, which is how I know at this point that its the lever. That should give you a clue of the actual problem.
I just fixed mine with out adding a spring, what the CORE issue you NEED to check before just throwing another spring at it is the "bar" and hook, if you look at my pics in the previous post ypu will see how the bar on the spring in "bent" away from the latch and what that causes is the bar then slides up the "side" of the hook on the hatch, if this is your problem like it was mine then NO number of springs will fix it.

What I did was a 2 part fix,
1. get a big pair of pliers and clamp them on to the pivot point of the bar and bend that tab so the bar is as close to the latch as you can get it.
2. pull the plastic section off the under side of the hatch and take the 4 10mm bolts loose (not out just 3 or 4 turns loose) and slide the "hook" as far forward as it will adjust (about a 1/4" inch) and re-tighten the four 10m.

once this is done slowly lower the hatch checking alignment of the hook and the latch, if there good then close it normally and test several times.
Once you satisfied its fixed replace plastic panel around hook.

here is a quick video describing what I did
(uploading now should be done shortly)
Attached Thumbnails rear hatch doesn't open like its supposed to.. help-latch3.jpg  

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 01-13-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

^^^ yeah, exactly what I was talking about. I bent it like you did, but probably still need to move the latch piece further in. Thanks for the post, this should pretty much cover any hatch release issues. Now I just need some new struts for it lol
Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

I wish that was the problem with mine. The bar on mine is all the way back, and the wear on the hook is square in one spot. I have to find a new spring for mine and see if that works.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chawlz
Fixed Mine. bought the spring at Home Depot
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your hatch struts too. Mine stick when the hatch has been closed for a while and it won't pop. If I have recently popped it then it'll release fully. Probably a combination of weak spring and sticking struts.

My 98 never had this issue. Like the roof panel glue, I wonder what possessed them to change it in 99.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I wonder what possessed them to change it in 99.
Money.... And I have noticed the same thing. Compared to my 98, at times I feel my 99 is falling apart.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
So basically when i push the button it pushes the hatch up, but when i lift on it it wont come up. But if i use the key button and hit the button and lift up at the same time i can get it off. Im pretty sure its not supposed to be that way. Can someone tell me whats wrong. Is there something that needs to be adjusted? is the electronic release going?
There is an adjustment on each side of the body where the hatch meets. Its a rubber grommet you can turn to make the grommet higher or lower. By doing this, when you hit the yellow release button, the hatch will be able to open.

Each and every one of my 4th gen's did this. I turned the grommets and walla. Done.

Hope this helps
Old 07-28-2018, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blackmaverick
There is an adjustment on each side of the body where the hatch meets. Its a rubber grommet you can turn to make the grommet higher or lower. By doing this, when you hit the yellow release button, the hatch will be able to open.

Each and every one of my 4th gen's did this. I turned the grommets and walla. Done.

Hope this helps
This! Just did it and presto the hatch releases with the button now. The rubbers are on the hatch itself, they are the bumpers that hit when you close the hatch so grommet might not be the right word but thanks to blackmaverick for this posting either way.
So now that this works my next question is about the struts, mine hold the hatch open but do not raise it on their own, is that correct or should the hatch come up on it's own when released?
Old 07-30-2018, 07:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, the hatch needs to be lifted manually. The struts are sufficient to hold it up and make it easier to lift but not enough to lift it like an automatic SUV hatch.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, the hatch needs to be lifted manually. The struts are sufficient to hold it up and make it easier to lift but not enough to lift it like an automatic SUV hatch.
Thanks,that's pretty much what I thought.

Quick Reply: rear hatch doesn't open like its supposed to.. help