Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installed Viper Alarm...Need Help!!

Old 01-19-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Viper Alarm...Need Help!!

I installed a viper 5204 alarm system with remote start in my 99 camaro and everything works perfectly fine except the remote start. The remote start only works with the key in the ignition. I have a idatalink ads-dl bypass module and it programmed fine and when I press the remote start button on the viper key fob the module activates and everything seems like it works but the car still does not start. I know I have to be missing something and I may not have a wire connected or something. any ideas anybody? anything can help me now as I'm at a stand still. The hood pin is not the cause nor the transmission mode as it programmed in automatic mode.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Ur car auto or stick ???
Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 PM

Automatic
Old 01-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Does the module have an LED indicator, if so then when you hit remote start watch amd see if it lights up, if it doesnt then you need to go back amd look at the module trouble shooting options and it should tell you to connect the blue/white status wire from the viper to your bypass module
It should be a simple fix, if you feel comfortable doing tge vats bypass its pretty simple and will save you time and money
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 PM

My bypass module does have an led indicator or it and it flashes up when the remote start is activated. When looking on the diagnostics for the module its explains that when the modules led indicator light is flashing the module is programmed correctly and is operational. So the module is working but the car still doesnt start...smh
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Teching In

When you hit remote start does it make a sort of clicking sound sequence or does it turn the ignition and accessory and try to start 3 times?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:05 AM

Yes it does make a clicking noise. also when i hit the remote start the accessory (heat/ac) will turn on but then go back off in like 1 sec bcuz it realizes the car is not started. But yes to answer your question it does make a clicking noise like its engaging and trying to start the car.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Teching In

If it is engaging but not starting then what it sounds like to me is that the purple wire and green wire for your starter and starter kill are not on the correct sides. The starter wire should be yellow and you should cut it in half and the green wire from the viper should go to the key side of the yellow wire, and the purple side should go to the starter side. The way I always remember this is Green and Key sorta rhyme.
This may not be your problem but that would be the first place I would start if I were to work on your car.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:56 PM

But the automatic start will start the car if the key is in the ignition so that would mean the the wires are already on the right side right? also when i cut the starter wire and connected the one wire to the starter side and the other to the key side i actually could not start the car with just my key. so i just connected another wire in the middle between the yellow starter wire/viper starter side wire and the viper key side wire/starter wire. Is that wrong? If so, then how can you start the car with just the key?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Yes it is wrong to run that other wire. The car wouldnt start because the starter wire was cut, but when you connect the viper to it and get it completely installed then it will start even though the wire is cut. If you leave that wire then you have basically made it to where if someone did steal your vehicle they could drive away even if the alarm was working and armed. Take that wire out and see if anything changes, if not then what is the brand of the module you are using?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 PM

Ok I will try tomorrow morning, however I don't see how anything will change because it automatic starts with the key in the ignition. maybe im not fully understanding how these aftermarket systems...lol this is my first time installing one. but the module im using is the idatalink ads-dl
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM

Ok so I took that wire off the automatic start still does not work. With that wire off I cannot start the car with the key either. But if I put that wire back I can start the car with the key and remote start with the key in the ignition. So it almost sounds like I actually need that wire.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Teching In

The bypass mod didn't program correctly. The VATS system isn't recognizing the resistance the bypass mod is sending. I never use an aftermarket bypass mod for an older GM vehicle running a VATS system other than to pulse a relay with the correct resistor connected. The easy fix for this is to get a multimeter and check the resistance value of the chip in the key. Simply locate the VATS wires (usually in an orange sleeve) cut them both and solder the correct value resistor in line.(away from the key) I would never recommend this unless you are installing an aftermarket alarm system with it's own starter kill which in this case you are. I hope this helps please keep us updated.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Yea i dont want to do that because my camaro is my daily driver. If I had another car I drive everywhere then I would wire the resistor because the chances of theft would be very low. But as my daily driver I would like to use a bypass module. I have tried the idatalink ads-dl and the xpresskit xk06. Do anybody know if any bypass module that are currently on a vats vehicle and working properly? Or does anyone of any bypass modules that will work for sure with the vats system?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Teching In

The xk06 is by far the best mod out there at least imo. To be honest VATS is just a pita! I understand your hesitation to not direct wire the VATS wires but if you have an aftermarket alarm you should be protected. The factory sytem isnt going to slow a thief down anyway. The xk06 can be used to bypass it and make it easier to steal.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM

Ok so i think i finally figured out the issue. In the instructions it says connect your grond wire from the bypass module to the ground in the passlock harness. I connected the ground to a screw in the frame of my car. So would it do the trick if I connected it to the ground wire in the passlock harness? If so, where is the the passlock harness?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 AM
Teching In

your car is VATS not passlock. Passlock uses three wires one of which is the resistor code wire one is the source ground which you would tie the xk06 ground into but thats not how your car works. Check out xpresskit.com pull up your vehicle and select the xk06 the installation for that bypass in to a VATS equipped car should be on page 3 . Sorry to hear you're still having a problem with this bud. Please let us know if you get it sorted out.

EDIT: sorry just checked the correct wiring is on page 4 once you open the document with adobe.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-20-2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 02-23-2013, 05:44 PM

thank you guys for all the help so far. I never got the bypass module to work so I just returned them and wired in a resistor to bypass the vats system. The resistor works and the car starts with no problem, however the remote start is still NOT working. I am stunned and absolutely have no idea what is work now. It still remote starts with the car in the ignition but without the key in the ignition it still does not work. Any ideas?

Also do I have to connect the door triggers in order for the remote start to work? Thats the only thing I can think of that is the problem.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-23-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM

ok guys so i finally got the remote start to work, however im under the impression that if the viper alarm is armed, if the car is started with the key then the alarm would sound and kill the engine. I tried to test this but when i start the car with my key when the viper alarm system is armed, the alarm just sounds but the engine still runs. Is supposed to act like this?...thanks in advance everyone
Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Teching In

there are two wires for the starter itself coming from the viper alarm system. the first is green the second is purple. You need to cut your starter wire in the ignition harness in half, the green wire goes back towards the key cylinder the purple wire goes away from the key cylinder. It sounds like you have the purple wire connected directly to your start wire without interrupting it. It sounds like you're finally getting the system worked out though good luck let us know if you have any more questions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed Viper Alarm...Need Help!!