Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub and Port Direction

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub and Port Direction

Im going to be building a new box once I can sell off my extras subs and amps and was wondering wut have you guys experienced from different sub and port directions?

from my own experimenting, ive found that placing the sub as far back in the hatch as possible wit the sub and port facing sideways or up to be the best so far. However, ive never experimented with the sub and port facing different directions such as sub up and port back. is it better to have both sub and port facing the same direction or will it hit just as hard wit subs up and port back for example?

for those curious, the box im looking to build is going to be 2.3ft^3 @ 30Hz and holding 4x jbl gto804 8" subs that will be firing up and the port will be facing back and this box will be directly behind the rear seats
Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Back seat angled up to point at the back glass. like this picture but angled more perpendicular to the rear glass.

In the back can never come close to the levels you can hit if you use the backseats to give you all that airspace that you simply can't get in the very back.

General rule is to ALWAYS face the cone of the sub to the rear of the car never toward the front, I tested several angles when I had that box (the one that doesn't fit the car) in the car before doing my new setup, ever system I've had in the last 13 years has always done better this way because the sound from subs travels backward from the woofer, you can go vertical with the subs would be next best but point your port backward, that's what I'm in the process of doing on my current box (the one for 2 subs).

SUV's are really the best acoustics for speaker up, port back configurations, I did a box for a buddy's 96 bird that went in place where the t-top storage was and It was alright, not great, then when he tore that car up enough he couldn't drive it he got on 03 mountaineer and I put the same sub into a box I made from the remainder of his 4x8 sheet of MDF and some other pieces I had from previous builds and it hits like 3 times louder (this is the one with no speaker hole cut).
Attached Thumbnails Sub and Port Direction-system.jpg   Sub and Port Direction-img_20130415_151404_442.jpg   Sub and Port Direction-img_20130506_024411_849.jpg   Sub and Port Direction-0421000102a.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Back seat angled up to point at the back glass. like this picture but angled more perpendicular to the rear glass.

In the back can never come close to the levels you can hit if you use the backseats to give you all that airspace that you simply can't get in the very back.

General rule is to ALWAYS face the cone of the sub to the rear of the car never toward the front, I tested several angles when I had that box (the one that doesn't fit the car) in the car before doing my new setup, ever system I've had in the last 13 years has always done better this way because the sound from subs travels backward from the woofer, you can go vertical with the subs would be next best but point your port backward, that's what I'm in the process of doing on my current box (the one for 2 subs).
nice box you have there wit the addition of the back-firing port! bet its gonna hit much harder than your original forward port.

if I was willing to give up my backseats, I certainly would go wit something like 4x 10s ported and let them pound away lol but im only willing to use up minimal space in my hatch so im limited at ~2ft^3 w/ a box height of 8"
Old 05-09-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

I did notice one thing by pure chance, as you know with ported boxes when you roll down your windows it gets louder, well I found that if I rolled the windows halfway down and hit the hatch release (not actually open the hatch, just pop it) it was as much difference between that and windows down as it is between windows up vs. windows down. It surprised me, I had my t-tops out one day and I parked the car and popped the hatch to get the t-tops to put them back on before I cut off the radio and BAM it was suddenly louder then I had ever heard it do before, so I did some testing and found the optimal point being windows half down, t-tops on.

Quick Reply: Sub and Port Direction