Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone use Hybrid Audio products (in the doors)?

Old 05-13-2013, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone use Hybrid Audio products (in the doors)?

I'm looking to replace the blown speakers in my 98 Camaro with Monsoon. I have reached out to both Kee and DoubleD and have received suggestions from both sponsors (both have been very helpful!). It's hard for me to make a decision on a speaker I've never heard before. So I'm looking for real world feedback from people on here.

My musical taste varies but I mainly listen to 'heavier' genres like Deathcore, Hardcore, Death Metal, etc. Bands like Strife, The Red Chord, Bane, Between the Buried and Me, Whitechapel, Despised Icon, The Acacia Strain, The Black Dahlia Murder, etc. Can never go wrong with blast beats and breakdowns

Not really wanting to add aftermarket amp or sub at the moment. Just looking for a clearer natural sound. I don't drive around blasting the beats rattling trunks, but do tend to turn it up with the windows down while cruising.

Now I have been reading a lot on the Hybrid Audio Imagine convertibles (model Hybrid Audio Imagine I61-2) and the specs look great. Lots of real solid reviews online for them. But it seems like most people run them with aftermarket amps. Would they still sound good on the factory Monsoon (which I believe is around 30w/channel)? I've read (not sure how true it is though!) that some of the CDT options for our cars like to have aftermarket amp power with them to really make them shine. Again, this is just what I've read so I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

I'm just trying to find out some honest real world reviews of products I am interested in. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

bump...nobody uses Hybrid Audio??
Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

I've only read good reviews about hat and double d mods has an amazing deal on a set of hat imagine 6.5 components for the doors along wit bazooka woofers for the sails and hat mirus series coaxials for the hatch for only $380. You're def gonna want at least a small aftermarket amp tho for those since they're 4ohm speakers and will fall flat wit the stock monsoon amp
Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

I'm new to this whole car audio thing...what do you mean they will 'fall flat'? I've read a few posts by WhiteBird where he states running a 4ohm will minimally affect the volume as long as the sensitivity is high enough. Those HAT Imagine's appear to be 4 ohm rated at 93.2dB efficiency. Also, recommended power is 20-150 watts so the 30 or so that the Monsoon puts out is in that range.

The CDTs I was considering were the EU 61CV.2...which appear to be 2 ohm with a sensitivity of 91.2dB.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Stu_x24x
I'm new to this whole car audio thing...what do you mean they will 'fall flat'? I've read a few posts by WhiteBird where he states running a 4ohm will minimally affect the volume as long as the sensitivity is high enough. Those HAT Imagine's appear to be 4 ohm rated at 93.2dB efficiency. Also, recommended power is 20-150 watts so the 30 or so that the Monsoon puts out is in that range.

The CDTs I was considering were the EU 61CV.2...which appear to be 2 ohm with a sensitivity of 91.2dB.
by fall flat, I mean the midbass punch will be a bit weaker than it COULD be wit an aftermarket amp. although not the same speakers, I have a re audio xxx 6.5c component set that are 2ohm and on the stock amp they were notably weaker in the midbass frequencies when compared to the 100w @ 2ohms its getting from my amp now.

another thing to keep in mind is with 4ohm speakers youll only be giving them about 15w in that case then. which is basically headunit power

Last edited by Avaric3; 05-15-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Ah gotcha. So I might be better off getting the CDT rated at the correct ohms for the doors and sails. I'd rather not run an amp at this point. Maybe a few years down the road, but right now I'm just looking to have decent sound without spending a boatload to get there.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 AM
TECH Regular

Look up precision power Sedona series amps. They're priced well and put out their rated power. I use the 200.2 to power my fronts and I'm satisfied
Old 05-19-2013, 03:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hybrid Audio makes really good speakers with great CS

I run a set of Image Dynamics CX62 Components in my camaro and they do really well (we have very similar musical tastes).

A wild card out there right now are the JBL MS-62C which you can get for less than $200 on ebay. I put those in my 4Runner and they do VERY well with metal.
As far as amps go, I would highly recommend anything by ARC Audio, their FD line is well made and puts out plenty of power.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stu_x24x
Ah gotcha. So I might be better off getting the CDT rated at the correct ohms for the doors and sails. I'd rather not run an amp at this point. Maybe a few years down the road, but right now I'm just looking to have decent sound without spending a boatload to get there.
Image Dynamics CX62 Components, 2 Ohms, GREAT for metal.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SlowBurn
Image Dynamics CX62 Components, 2 Ohms, GREAT for metal.
+1 on the ID CX62 and the JBL MS-62 as well. ive read nothing but good reviews about them. Massive Audio RK6 and RE Audio XXX 6.5C are 2 more good ones worth looking into. I run the RE Audio XXX 6,5C and the midbass punch is pretty solid on them
Old 05-19-2013, 04:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Avaric3
+1 on the ID CX62 and the JBL MS-62 as well. ive read nothing but good reviews about them. Massive Audio RK6 and RE Audio XXX 6.5C are 2 more good ones worth looking into. I run the RE Audio XXX 6,5C and the midbass punch is pretty solid on them
I was debating between a set of the CK6 by Massive and the JBL's for my 4Runner. The fact that my Massive Audio NX5 amplifier crapped the bed after 2 months running minimal load sealed the deal for me. In any case, I think the OP should seriously consider a subwoofer as well. The giant doors in our cars take a little bit away from even the best of components.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

have read and heard good things about them but never personally used them. I have polk audio door speakers on my 02 4runner and love em
Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SlowBurn
I was debating between a set of the CK6 by Massive and the JBL's for my 4Runner. The fact that my Massive Audio NX5 amplifier crapped the bed after 2 months running minimal load sealed the deal for me. In any case, I think the OP should seriously consider a subwoofer as well. The giant doors in our cars take a little bit away from even the best of components.
I have my doors sealed and deadened and the midbass punches nicely. without the deadener tho, it sounded like ****
Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

i went to kee audio and love my stage 2 replacements, had I wanted to spend a bit more $$ I would have gone all out and got his highest model replacements, but all I wanted was my speakers back and I knew it would sound better than stock so I bit the bullet.

And I was greatly impressed.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the added info guys! I thought I was getting close to a decision, but looks like I'll be doing a little more research haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone use Hybrid Audio products (in the doors)?