Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear license plate light harness??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear license plate light harness??

Ok so I got pulled over the other night due to my rear license plate bulb being out. Cop told me to get it replaced. I check on it today and I can't feel a bulb in the little adapter/holder. So I unscrew the 2 screws holding the piece in and I see it is just empty. I can't find a harness or bulb socket anywhere! Where is the bulb harness supposed to drop down by the license plate? I have a feeling the previous owner had things apart and didn't put them back together again correctly (I found out the hard way that the wiring to the 3rd brake light was never plugged in. What a time I had troubleshooting that issue!)

Can anyone shed some light on what I SHOULD have back there and what it is supposed to look like? What other bulbs/lights are on the same harness as the license plate light? Where does the harness plug into the car? Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Here is a diagram of the rear harness and related parts.

#17 is the license lamp and rear side marker harness running from the left corner (P/N 12145884)
#4 is the lamp itself (P/N 5977411)
#16 is the bulb socket (P/N 6298886) available separately but also included as part of the harness #17
#14 is the bulb - a standard #194 bulb

Old 06-17-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The license plate bulb plug is part of the tail light harness. Try and crawl underneath and see if it's just dangling free. Otherwise, you might have to take off the bumper and go searching for it.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I checked the side markers to see if the harness was there and nope! So I may need to buy a harness from here or ebay. Stupid previous owner really messed this car up. The wiring to the hatch speakers is all kinds of messed up too. Everything is cut. Was wondering why it didn't sound like music was coming out of them hahah =\

Quick Reply: Rear license plate light harness??