Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sail panel speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail panel speaker problem

Hey guys I have a problem with my passenger side sail panel speaker. I thought it was blown so I bought a pair from Ian at Kee to replace them. I was installing them and when I connected the passanger side speaker I could hear a noise/hissing sound coming from it. I could still hear some of the low end music through the speaker but the the noise was louder. I swapped speakers and still the same result so I know its not the speakers. Ian has me checking the signals from the radio to figure out if its the radio or the amp.

My question is where does the signal for the sail panels come from? According to the FAQ's there is front and rear left and front and rear right source. I was thinking because the other speakers sound correct, should it not be the amp that's the problem? If the source was good before the amp, post amp should be good also unless its the amp. Also if the rest of the speakers perform correctly, one would think the signal source is good. But what do I know..... that's why I'm here for help.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have monsoon the sails are small "mini subs" (as I like to call them) that are driven by the amp. If all the other speakers sound normal, then yeah, the amp would be to blame.

My amp in my 99 had a totally distorted channel when I got the car.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Yeah its a Monsoon and that's what I was thinking. I had a car with a factory Bose system and that was a nightmare, so I figured I ask. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That's still an unjustified leap of logic. Yes, IF the signal was good before the amp and not after the amp, the amp would be the problem. But you don't know that the input to the amp is good because you haven't checked it. The head unit outputs four channels of speaker level signal to the amp so it is equally possible that the HU right rear output is faulty and the amp is just passing it on. In fact, it is much more likely to be the head unit just based on how common HU failures are compared to amp failures (SparkyJJO's is the ONLY failure of a single channel on a Monsoon amp that I've heard of in all these years).
Old 05-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Ok this is good.... now we are getting somewhere. So I assume that from what you say it gets the "Rear left" and "Rear right" signal from the HU and passes it through a filter to get only base. Now if my rear right hatch speaker sounds normal (no noise), does it not have to be the amp? If the HU sent a "bad" signal my rears should be messed up as well. Correct? Thanks for your input Whitebird, much appreciated!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's still an unjustified leap of logic. Yes, IF the signal was good before the amp and not after the amp, the amp would be the problem. But you don't know that the input to the amp is good because you haven't checked it. The head unit outputs four channels of speaker level signal to the amp so it is equally possible that the HU right rear output is faulty and the amp is just passing it on. In fact, it is much more likely to be the head unit just based on how common HU failures are compared to amp failures (SparkyJJO's is the ONLY failure of a single channel on a Monsoon amp that I've heard of in all these years).
But if all other speakers sound good then doesn't that necessitate the HU putting out proper signals? Unless the rear left/right channels of the HU don't go to the hatch speakers and are sub-only.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You have a good point... I wasn't thinking about the rear hatch area speakers because they were one of the first things I disconnected. But it makes sense that if the right rear output from the head unit was faulty, both the right sail panel sub and the right hatch mid would suffer from the same problem. Since only the sail panel is involved, the problem would have to be either the signal from the amp, the speaker itself, or the wiring between the amp and the speaker. We can eliminate the speaker itself since you've already swapped it out without any improvement so the problem must be the wiring or the amp.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Well I swapped out the amp and got the same results. It seems I have a bad connector. The PO put what is, I hope a bunch dielectric grease inside the connector. I cleaned a lot of it out and tighten up the connections for the sail panel speaker and it seems to be good for now. I hope this is the fix. I just wanted to end this thread with the fix. I hate when people never finish there threads!

Quick Reply: Sail panel speaker problem