Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

radio in my truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default radio in my truck

ok.. 1988 k1500 and has a brand new turn key 350 crate with 1,000 miles...
just had a friend install a radio he had sitting around. 2 days later... battery which was new when motor was installed... had to be replaced. so, re ran the power wire for radio straight to the power on the battery... still dying out. never had issues for first 950 miles with starting, so... now with radio installed wtf!!! obviously the way he wired it up its draining the battery. radio doesn't stay on nor does the lights on the radio after truck is turned off... so now where does the power wire hook up to where it's not drawing amps or power.
I'm not very strong electrical wise...

Thanks in advance...
-Charlie
Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

radios have 2 power wires, 1 gets constant power from the battery the other needs to be wired to a fuse that only gets power when the key is on.

let me ask you this, if you put in a cd does it pick back up where you left off when you turned the truck off or does it go back to the start of the cd?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

it picks back up where it left off... well, i had a crummy frayed in the middle wire from the ground post of battery to the fender/body ground. I tried soldering it, still did it so replaced it completely. Now, I can drive to the store down the road, come out and start up and get home shut it off. I tried to start it up a 3rd time ( cold start, after driving to store, now home), won't crank for an hour-ish.

IDK if maybe my friend who put the radio in from fishing the speaker wires under the dash loosened something up. After he fished the wires, my dash lights went out ( now 2 months later work again all on their own)...

BUT starting to think the wires going to the battery to starter are crap OR the starter (although brand new with my GM turn key crate motor with 1k miles on it) took a crap?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me like the "new" stereo might be causing some standby current drain. Without a multimeter or current clamp meter and the proper knowledge and technique, theres really no definitive test to tell thats whats causing your issue.

What I'd do is unplug the stereo for a few days, drive the truck around and see if your battery is still draining. If everything is back to how it should be, it's the stereo causing the problem.

In my time as an installer, I haven't had a lot of stereos cause standby current drain, but if it is an older unit, especially a lower end stereo, that could very well be whats happening.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Austin,
No, b/c I have unplugged and removed the radio... and still having these starting issues!
I think I am going to replace the battery cables to the starter etc!

Quick Reply: radio in my truck