Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

window motor DEAD!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default window motor DEAD!

So it finally died on the drivers side!
02 TA
Going to replace it next week and I know there is a better motor to replace it with but now of course I cant find it in a search. Could someone give me the info please?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've replaced several F-body windows motors over the years. I've just used the the replacement ones from Advance Auto and never had a problem. I can't vouch for how long they last -- i replaced 2 in a camaro that a friend was selling, i sold my car a couple years after replacing my own (still worked fine), and i've replaced one in my 2002 SS a couple year back -- but that car is rarely driven.

I'm assuming TA = Camaro when it comes to the window motor replacement. If so, hopefully you know the process -- requires drilling 3 holes in the inner door panel, then drilling out the rivets holding the old one in, and using the included screws to mount the new one. only thing that's hard is knowing where to drill through the door panel. A forum or google search should provide more documentation on that process.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This isn't mine but check this out as it seemed to be pretty informative and was right on point with what I had to do when I did mine:
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

another poster recommended dorman window motors so i bought a pair $26 each. my stockers are still working slowly so i havent replaced yet.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:03 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the video!! Goin to help being able to see it!!

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-08-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The Dorman motor design is the updated version that you want.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
The Dorman motor design is the updated version that you want.
This one?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...dow+lift+motor

$55
Old 08-09-2014, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys. Got it ordered to day so I can put it on next weekend!
Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Old 08-09-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ta-stanger
Thanks guys. Got it ordered to day so I can put it on next weekend!
Do a google search for Advance Auto coupon

The first link should give you a code for $20 off a $50 order
Old 08-09-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dorman 742-101. about $30 shipped on Amazon.

wasnt the driver side power fine, it was just he passenger side that needed a new dedicated 12v line?
Old 08-09-2014, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

I just replaced my passenger window motor with a Dorman. I also did the autotrix fix while I was at it. Wow, talk about a world of difference. My window goes up and down incredibly fast! Great upgrade for the price.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:45 AM
TECH Regular

Auto fix ?
Originally Posted by WidowMaker_13
I just replaced my passenger window motor with a Dorman. I also did the autotrix fix while I was at it. Wow, talk about a world of difference. My window goes up and down incredibly fast! Great upgrade for the price.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ta-stanger
Auto fix ?
It's a relay system meant to prolong the life of bad motors. It fixes nothing and the manufacturer doesn't even make that claim. There is a lot of internet folklore around it, where it has risen to the level of magic snake oil in effectivness.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

I think they are talking about the AutoTrix Passenger Window Fix:
http://autotrix.net/Product-Passenge...Fix-Kit_1.aspx

The idea is that there is a voltage drop to the passenger side and this fixes that.

They also have some kits for the driver's side, add express down to passenger side, and other stuff:
http://autotrix.net/Catalog-93-02-Firebird_1.aspx

I think they used to be a sponsor here. I've never bought anything from them and have no experience with their product.

I replaced both my window motors around 4+ years with Seimans window motors. It helped at the time, but now they are both very slow again. My driver side is the slower one, which is the reverse of the typical scenario. I think I'm going to make my own kit for both sides and possibly remove the thermal breakers while I'm at it if the relays and wiring aren't enough. If that still doesn't work, I may try these Dorman motors.

Last edited by VIP1; 08-10-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
It's a relay system meant to prolong the life of bad motors. It fixes nothing and the manufacturer doesn't even make that claim. There is a lot of internet folklore around it, where it has risen to the level of magic snake oil in effectivness.
You've obviously never seen the effect the kit has on the speed of the window then. I'm on my third TA and I have done this fix to all of them. It works.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

have brought a couple of dead window motors back to life by removing the thermal strip and replacing it with a piece of cooper wire. just need to be careful not to hold the button down with the window fully in the up/down position!
Old 08-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by VIP1
The idea is that there is a voltage drop to the passenger side and this fixes that.
I calculated the voltage drop in the wire that crosses over from the driver's side switch once and found it was a very small fraction of a percent. I think the biggest impact is in the relay providing the full battery/alternator voltage to the motors instead of what the BCM provides.

Originally Posted by WidowMaker_13
You've obviously never seen the effect the kit has on the speed of the window then.
You haven't seen the effect, either - if you put it in at the same time the motor was installed. The kit boosts voltage, so it might marginally increase the speed of a new motor and dramatically increase the speed of a bad motor - but the point is... it doesn't "fix" anything. It just makes a bad motor look better.

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
have brought a couple of dead window motors back to life by removing the thermal strip and replacing it with a piece of cooper wire. just need to be careful not to hold the button down with the window fully in the up/down position!
Yea, you don't want to overstress the door and risk something like this happening: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

IMO - Once we've done the shbox motor install, its pretty easy just to switch out a lifetime warranty motor when it goes bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: window motor DEAD!