Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

hardwire gps below mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default hardwire gps below mirror

Want to hide a 12v mini usb cable to go under the mirror (to the side) I like my gps higher up. Is there a good source on a hard wire cable people have used? I see the one's on amazon, but they only have 4.5' of cable from a clunky box, I think I need at least 6' to make it easier to route. Thoughts?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant be the only one to want to do this?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Can you be more specific about the cable you need? Obviously USB mini-B on one end but what do you need on the other end?

You should look at monoprice.com. They have USB cables of all types and lengths at amazing prices. I bought a bunch of 18" USB type A to micro-B cables for only $0.67 each. even with shipping it was much less than buying elsewhere. They have 10' Type A to mini-B for under $2 each.

I did not see any unfinished to USB mini-B cables there but you could always cut off the unneeded connector at the other end and then strip and hard-wire.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I should have clarified. I'm looking for this cable, but with a longer run from the fuse, this is only 5'. I think it needs to be longer so I can route it down to the fusebox.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I'm afraid you're probably out of luck for that specific cable unless the manufacturer can supply you with a longer one.

However, you could make your own. Get a 12V to 5V converter like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/KEEDOX%C2%AE-Converter-Power-Supply-Module/dp/B00A71CMDU/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y http://www.amazon.com/KEEDOX%C2%AE-Converter-Power-Supply-Module/dp/B00A71CMDU/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y
and a standard mini-B USB cable of the length you need. Cut the unneeded type A connector off the USB cable. You'll find four wires (red, white, green and black) and an outer shielding wrap inside the cable. The red wire is for 5V positive and the black wire is 5V negative, the other two are USB data which you can ignore.

Wire the red and black wires of the converter to an ignition switched source in the car (such as the IGN port in the fuse box) and ground respectively. Connect the red wire on the other side to the red wire in the USB cable. Connect the yellow wire to the black in the USB cable. Voila! A mini-B USB power cable!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good point on the step down, I have to see what I actually need for my magellan and I can order the specific step down, I was just using that cable as an example. I can totally piece it together this way!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I think it's safe to say that it would be 5V since that's the USB standard. If they were going to use some other voltage then they would have used a different connector.

Quick Reply: hardwire gps below mirror