Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

switchback led drl

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switchback led drl

I put some in today from super bright leds and I was wondering what the best easiest route is for getting the flasher to work properly? I've heard you can just replace a fuse but I don't know if that is actually true most people talk about a flasher of some sort.. are any of those plug-n-play?
Old 09-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-electronics/1746032-convert-front-drls-turn-signals-led.html
Old 09-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Launching!

yes I saw that thread but I don't know where to get a flash relay or electronic flasher from, or how to install one. Don't even know where it goes. Don't know if there is a thread or someone who could explain it.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

As long as you convert only the front lamps to LED bulbs, you can replace the stock thermal flasher with any electronic 2-prong flasher such as the Tridon EL-12. They are available from a multitude of sources including auto parts stores and even Walmart. Amazon has them for less than $8.

The electronic flasher is a simple plug-in replacement for the factory one. You'll find the factory flasher under the dash clipped to the back side of the knee panel just to the right of the opening when you remove the access panel under the steering column (right above the OBD II port).

#1 - Turn signal flasher
#3 - OBD II port

If you convert your tail lights as well, you will need to use either load resistors or a specialized LED bulb flasher.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Launching!

ahh ok I got it, thanks for the info!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Launching!

I understand the flashers now, but is there a way to keep the leds white when the headlights are off during the day? I didn't realize they would still be amber with the headlights off
Old 09-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The DRL function uses the turn signal filament (yellow) for its function. So, you'd either need to bypass the DRL and have nothing on during the day or go through a pretty extensive electronics project to change the behavior of the DRL module.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by BAN_ONE
I understand the flashers now, but is there a way to keep the leds white when the headlights are off during the day? I didn't realize they would still be amber with the headlights off
There is no way to do so without rewiring. The factory bulbs have two filaments - a dim filament for the running lights (when the headlights are on) and a bright filament for the turn signals and daytime running lights (DRLs). Both are amber because the glass globe of the bulb is amber.

LED switchback bulbs don't have a colored globe so they can use different colored LEDs but they still have to assign a single color to each circuit ("filament"). So the dim running light circuit uses white LEDs and the bright turn signal and DRL circuit uses amber LEDs. That means that as long as the headlights aren't on, the LED bulbs will always be amber. They will only be white when the headlights are on and the turn signals are not in use.

As wssix99 has mentioned, you would have to rewire the DRL module in the dash to make the DRLs use the running light circuit instead of the turn signal circuit. That would not be a minor modification.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Launching!

haha yea definitely beyond what I want to get involved with , well nonetheless they look way better now with new housings and leds. thanks for all the good info gonna pick up a flasher at autozone in a bit.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Everything works now, thanks for the help appreciate it
Old 10-06-2014, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you have pics of this?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spec_j
you have pics of this?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Default Getting rid of the yellow light during daytime

If you unplug the DRL box behide the radio it will get rid of the yellow in your switchbacks and use the white. the CON is that you lose the DRL and the auto headlights function.
If you want to do this all you have to do if take the stereo out (no need to unplug it) and look for a black box about the size of a cigarette pack. Pull up on the box and it will have two sets of wires plugged into it. Unplug the BLUE clip set of wires. Put everything back on and its done.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has likely been said, though if not, you need to get an LED flasher module. They are pretty cheap and easy to replace.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Project Mongoose
If you unplug the DRL box behide the radio it will get rid of the yellow in your switchbacks and use the white. the CON is that you lose the DRL and the auto headlights function.
If you want to do this all you have to do if take the stereo out (no need to unplug it) and look for a black box about the size of a cigarette pack. Pull up on the box and it will have two sets of wires plugged into it. Unplug the BLUE clip set of wires. Put everything back on and its done.
One other side effect... if you have a manual transmission you lose the use of your remote hatch release when the ignition is on.

There are better ways to eliminate the DRL circuit if you want to do that. Personally, I think the amber DRLs (especially with good LED bulbs) are a useful safety feature and look much better than the ones that use the headlights.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowTA1

Hey that's my T/A !!

Update my passenger side DRL the white LEDs stopped working....

Anything newer out there since I put these in a few years back
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 PM
BS
Launching!

I switched the wires at the bulb plug to have white for the DRL.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by BS
I switched the wires at the bulb plug to have white for the DRL.
The problem with that is that it makes your turn signals white instead of amber. While that is technically legal, I can't think of any vehicle that comes with white turn signals so it is not the safest way to configure your lights (oncoming drivers won't expect white flashing turn signals).
Old 04-30-2015, 12:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

White turn signals are illegal. The fronts need to be Amber and the rears can be amber or red.

The DRL's can be white.

The regulations for the US are in table 1-A of this regulation: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx..._1108&rgn=div8
Old 04-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The white vs amber front signal laws vary by state. For example, here in Florida the law states:

Florida Statutes 316.234(2)

Any vehicle may be equipped and, when required under s. 316.222(2), shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit white or amber light. The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light. Turn signal lamps on vehicles 80 inches or more in overall width shall be visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet to the front and rear in normal sunlight, and an object, material, or covering that alters the lamp’s visibility from a distance of 500 feet to the front or rear in normal sunlight may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a turn signal lamp. Turn signal lamps on vehicles less than 80 inches wide shall be visible at a distance of not less than 300 feet to the front and rear in normal sunlight, and an object, material, or covering that alters the lamp’s visibility from a distance of 300 feet to the front or rear in normal sunlight may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a turn signal lamp. Turn signal lamps may, but need not be, incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.
Federal law normally takes precedence but that just means that states can't enact laws that are more restrictive than federal requirements (e.g. my favorite is states trying to outlaw motorcycle modulating headlights which are legal in all states under federal law). That means that Florida and other states are free to allow white front turn signals even though they aren't covered under the federal regulations. I don't know if any other states do so.

Manufacturers don't build cars with white turn signals because they need to be able to sell everywhere in the country but individuals can make the change (at least in Florida) without risking a ticket.

That still leaves it as a dumb idea.

Quick Reply: switchback led drl