Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What wire is it? Door open radio off wire

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What wire is it? Door open radio off wire

What wires is it that when you open the door and shut it, it tells the radio etc to turn off? Please don't tell me to just find the button and look at the wires b/c if i could do that, i would. Thx in advance.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It's more complicated than that...

There is a door sensor in the latch module in the door that senses when the door latch is shut. (You can use a screw driver to shut and open the latch and fool the car to thinking that the door is closed or open.)

That sensor is one of many inputs to the Body Control Module (BCM) which controls the Retained Access Power (RAP) feature, which keeps power to the radio, locks, etc. after you shut the door. If you are having problem with this feature, there is a sticky in this section with some common pitfalls.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so this sensor has a wire or wires going to it i'm sure. Which one is it? I don't have my doors right now otherwise i wouldn't have to ask this question. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the sensor isn't on the actual door, its right by the door hinges, looks like a little push pin sticking out.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by silverWS.6
I believe the sensor isn't on the actual door, its right by the door hinges, looks like a little push pin sticking out.
No, that's the old fashioned way. Most cars haven't had those pin switches for many years. The switch is in the door lock itself.

Originally Posted by notnilc20
Ok so this sensor has a wire or wires going to it i'm sure. Which one is it? I don't have my doors right now otherwise i wouldn't have to ask this question. Thanks.
The signal wire is grey/black on the left and black/white on the right.

Perhaps if you had explained more what you were trying to accomplish, you might have received a more suitable answer. As wssix99 was saying, there is very little chance that the signal wire is causing a problem with the RAP circuit. I suspect you are trying to do some sort of modification using that circuit for another purpose.

Quick Reply: What wire is it? Door open radio off wire