Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to disable a key fob

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to disable a key fob

Ok, I have kind of a different situation. I had two camaros. A 2001 and 2002 SS. I bought the 2001 when the 2002 was down for repairs. The 2001 didn't come with a key fob, so I used the spare key fob from the 2002. I sold the 2001 to the neighbor once I got the 2002 running. Now I have this problem that both cars open most of the times when the neighbor drives the 2001 and worse when she opens the trunk of the 2001, the trunk of the 2002 opens and turns on the light. Since it is driven rarely, the 2002s battery dies if I don't go shut it. This happened twice now. I know that I can fix it by just getting a new fob for the 2001, but I already got a key fob to replace that one for the 2002 and I'm trying to be cheap, lol.

Is there a way to deactivate a key fob for a car? If I could make the fob for the 2001 quit working on the 2002, my problem is solved.

Anyone?
Old 09-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

It's very simple. Just program the car to recognize the two fobs in your possession - your original and the new one you bought. Once you go through that programming process, the car will only recognize and respond to the remotes you programmed and the one your neighbor has won't work on your car anymore.

Programming Remotes:

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN, then to OFF. This will disarm the content theft-deterrent/alarm system (if equipped).

2. Remove the RADIO fuse. This fuse is located in the main fuse block which is located on the left side of your instrument panel.

3. Turn the ignition key from OFF to RUN three times quickly (within five seconds). The vehicle will respond by locking the doors, unlocking the driver’s door and releasing the hatch. Your transmitter is now ready to match the vehicle. Leave the ignition in RUN.

4. Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for 15 seconds. The vehicle will respond as in Step 3.

5. Repeat Step 4 for the remaining transmitters.

6. When you have finished matching all of your transmitters, turn the ignition off and replace the RADIO fuse.

7. Check that all transmitters work by pressing the buttons.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dang, that is too easy.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And it worked.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: How to disable a key fob