Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Newbie w/ a stock stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, this is my first post and I'm new to the F-body family. I just bought a '02 Camaro Z/28 (SS wanna be). The previous owner had a stereo installed, subs, amps and an Alpine touch screen deck. The problem I'm having is, when it was installed they completely cut the stock radio harnesses and I'd like to go back to stock. I have no need or desire to have a fold up touch screen. If anything I'll still run an aftermarket deck, just not a touch screen. So I'm wondering if I'd be better off going to a local salvage yard and try to find the plugs and use a harness adapter for the new deck, or just wire it right to the really short crappy cut wires. Not sure if it matters or not, but he had the speakers wired to an aftermarket amp, so I'm not even sure if the speakers will work if I hook them back to the factory plugs. Any advise would help out. Thanks in advance.

Matt
Here are a few pics I took of the car when I got home from work today.

And it's upside down. Nice job iphone. (First post, FAIL!)

Here's a short of her booty. Side note, I hate those tail lights and I'm looking for a set of stocks. (Not a WTB ad, just saying)
Attached Thumbnails Newbie w/ a stock stereo question-image.jpg   Newbie w/ a stock stereo question-image.jpg  

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-28-2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 10-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Fixing the stock harness is not that difficult. Fortunately, Metra makes a replacement for the factory plug (part number 71-1858). You just splice the replacement plug onto what's left of the factory harness matching the wires color for color (i.e. orange to orange, yellow to yellow, etc.) using either crimp-on butt connectors or (better) solder and heat shrink.

But going back to stock may involve more work than it's worth. The stock system in the Z/28 that year was the Monsoon. That means an unusual combination of an external amp and speakers that were specifically tuned for their locations (e.g. subs in the sail panels and coaxially mounted components in the doors). The speakers can be replaced with kits from our sponsors Kee Audio and Double D Mods but if the factory amp is gone or other wiring has been butchered then it might not be worth the trouble.

I recommend reading the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section to get more information about the stock configuration.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like I'd be better off sticking with an after market head unit and speakers. Thanks WhiteBird00.

Quick Reply: Newbie w/ a stock stereo question