Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please

So im not sure if this is the right place to put this. But i have a 2000 z28 with the stock Monsoon system in it still. id like to upgrade but until i have the money id like to figure out this problem. My stereo likes to blank out and stop playing music and then my windows stop working as well, after it comes back on for the first few seconds the stereo says CLN on it. any ideas? some sort of circuit problem is my best guess but what?
Old 11-02-2014, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

your main issue is the BCM, see here https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...blems-fix.html this is whats causing the radio and windows to stop working.

as for CLN, I would guess that would stand for CLEAN, meaning it's having trouble reading the CD and thinks the lens is dirty, try a lens cleaning CD.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Teching In

ok, just wasnt sure if the CLN was part of the whole windows issue part too. i have a tape mp3 cord thingy in there for my phone but no cds
Old 11-03-2014, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000z28jde
ok, just wasnt sure if the CLN was part of the whole windows issue part too. i have a tape mp3 cord thingy in there for my phone but no cds
I'm guessing on that part, the CLN is not a listed error code in the monsoon FAQ https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-faq.html but no one that i've heard of having the BCM issue has mentioned a CLN error message, I had already swapped out to an aftermarket headunit long before my BCM started acting up, hell I put an aftermarket radio in the car the day after I bought the car.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 11-03-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I think the CLN error applies only to cassette tape head units. I think you can still find cassette tape head cleaning kits at Walmart and probably Radio Shack. Look for the ones that come with a small container of cleaning fluid along with the cleaning cassette as they work much better than the dry cleaning tapes.

It is possible that the heads really don't need cleaning. Those cassette input adapters will sometimes cause the head unit to think cleaning is necessary because there is no tape movement detected. But I would go ahead and clean them anyway because it will likely improve sound quality for you.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I'm guessing on that part, the CLN is not a listed error code in the monsoon FAQ https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-faq.html but no one that i've heard of having the BCM issue has mentioned a CLN error message, I had already swapped out to an aftermarket headunit long before my BCM started acting up, hell I put an aftermarket radio in the car the day after I bought the car.
ok, yeah im not too worried about the CLN its just the windows and the power shortings that get annoying when i go on longer drives. But thanks, what kind of aftermarket did you use? and how do you like it? i wanna go with a pioneer flip up cause i like the look of the touchscreen but dont really want to mod to fit a double din in my console. and i dont know too much on audio but from what i know pioneer is a good brand. anyone know of good speakers to replace all 6? i came from owning a jeep to owning this and was kinda blown away with how good of sound this thing had when i bought it compared to my 1999 jeep. the stock bass is pretty good id like to get speakers to sound good like that a little better.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I think the CLN error applies only to cassette tape head units. I think you can still find cassette tape head cleaning kits at Walmart and probably Radio Shack. Look for the ones that come with a small container of cleaning fluid along with the cleaning cassette as they work much better than the dry cleaning tapes.

It is possible that the heads really don't need cleaning. Those cassette input adapters will sometimes cause the head unit to think cleaning is necessary because there is no tape movement detected. But I would go ahead and clean them anyway because it will likely improve sound quality for you.
ok, thank you white bird. like i mentioned im not too worried about the CLN message its just the shortages and windows going out that gets on my nerves but for future reference that is awesome info so thank you!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

ok, yeah im not too worried about the CLN its just the windows and the power shortings that get annoying when i go on longer drives. But thanks, what kind of aftermarket did you use? and how do you like it? i wanna go with a pioneer flip up cause i like the look of the touchscreen but dont really want to mod to fit a double din in my console. and i dont know too much on audio but from what i know pioneer is a good brand. anyone know of good speakers to replace all 6? i came from owning a jeep to owning this and was kinda blown away with how good of sound this thing had when i bought it compared to my 1999 jeep. the stock bass is pretty good id like to get speakers to sound good like that a little better.
the sponsors on here (Kee Audio, to be specific) have packages designed specifically for replacing all the factory speakers with properly matched speaker impedances for use with the factory monsoon amp.

Pioneer is my brand of choice for headunits, personally I am not a fan of the flip out units, they just cost way to much for the features you get, frankly the same holds true for the double-din touchscreens. I run subwoofers in all my cars so having a headunit with good RCA output options is key to me and most of the flip outs and double dins only have 2 volt RCA pre-outs and I prefer to only use headunits with 4 volt or better preouts, the bass of the subs just sounds better to me (I had a double-din in my last honda with 2 volt preouts and sold just so I could get a standard din radio for the 4 volt preouts). But really it comes down to which features you want in a headunit.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Teching In

the sponsors on here (Kee Audio, to be specific) have packages designed specifically for replacing all the factory speakers with properly matched speaker impedances for use with the factory monsoon amp.

Pioneer is my brand of choice for headunits, personally I am not a fan of the flip out units, they just cost way to much for the features you get, frankly the same holds true for the double-din touchscreens. I run subwoofers in all my cars so having a headunit with good RCA output options is key to me and most of the flip outs and double dins only have 2 volt RCA pre-outs and I prefer to only use headunits with 4 volt or better preouts, the bass of the subs just sounds better to me (I had a double-din in my last honda with 2 volt preouts and sold just so I could get a standard din radio for the 4 volt preouts). But really it comes down to which features you want in a headunit.
OK, that makes sense. never thought of the preouts volts before! so thanks for that. im not too sure if im gunna go with a sub in my car yet just because i dont want rattling. plus i need to work on replacing the factory speakers that are going out first. do you know how bad it rattles in the f body camaros? ive never really asked about that. and yeah im a pioneer guy when it comes to head units as well. but the one i want(flip out) as you said and i cant agree anymore, ask way too much lol
Old 11-05-2014, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

OK, that makes sense. never thought of the preouts volts before! so thanks for that. im not too sure if im gunna go with a sub in my car yet just because i dont want rattling. plus i need to work on replacing the factory speakers that are going out first. do you know how bad it rattles in the f body camaros? ive never really asked about that. and yeah im a pioneer guy when it comes to head units as well. but the one i want(flip out) as you said and i cant agree anymore, ask way too much lol
Preout voltage really on matters if you plan to run aftermarket amps at any point, if your keeping the stock monsoon setup and not adding subs it becomes less important.

as with most cars the rattles are worse on cars where the interior has been removed and re-installed, cars stuck together at the factory never rattle as bad, it can happen to any car, half my interior is out right now till I get the new RCA's and speaker wire run for my 4-channel amp so most of my rattle sources aren't in the car, but things can be done to reduce rattles, there are many threads on here for sound deadening. The other alternative is to just go so damn loud that you can't here the rattles when inside the car,LOL. like this guys camaro I got the chance to see summer last year https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ld-camaro.html

as for me I need to shoot a new video, I have been severally lacking in updates to anything on my car, but here is a video I did before the redesign of the box that I took with me when I went down to Sanibel last year (met up with the guy from the other thread on my way back from Sanibel).

the redesigned box ended up pulling a 140.9db @44Hz, since thenI just recently installed a new amp that is pushing like double the power, for a point of reference the old amp had an 80 amp fuse, the new one uses a 200 amp fuse (externally fused), so it's probably bumped up 2-3 db compared to the previous amp
Old 11-05-2014, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

im not too sure if im gunna go with a sub in my car yet just because i dont want rattling. plus i need to work on replacing the factory speakers that are going out first. do you know how bad it rattles in the f body camaros?
As Daniel mentioned, rattles will vary from car to car. I have a 1994 Z28 with a 10" sub in the rear, and I don't have any rattles at all. I do have a bit of a rattle with the passenger door speaker, however, that I need to fix one of these days. You can't go wrong with Kee Audio. He put together a very nice subwoofer package for me that I am very pleased with.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Preout voltage really on matters if you plan to run aftermarket amps at any point, if your keeping the stock monsoon setup and not adding subs it becomes less important.

as with most cars the rattles are worse on cars where the interior has been removed and re-installed, cars stuck together at the factory never rattle as bad, it can happen to any car, half my interior is out right now till I get the new RCA's and speaker wire run for my 4-channel amp so most of my rattle sources aren't in the car, but things can be done to reduce rattles, there are many threads on here for sound deadening. The other alternative is to just go so damn loud that you can't here the rattles when inside the car,LOL. like this guys camaro I got the chance to see summer last year https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ld-camaro.html

as for me I need to shoot a new video, I have been severally lacking in updates to anything on my car, but here is a video I did before the redesign of the box that I took with me when I went down to Sanibel last year (met up with the guy from the other thread on my way back from Sanibel).

Dual PLANET AUDIO BB212D 12's in a custom Firebird rear seat enclosure - YouTube

the redesigned box ended up pulling a 140.9db @44Hz, since thenI just recently installed a new amp that is pushing like double the power, for a point of reference the old amp had an 80 amp fuse, the new one uses a 200 amp fuse (externally fused), so it's probably bumped up 2-3 db compared to the previous amp
LOL! Like a friend i used to work with at ford said, know how to fix when the engine making a funny sound? turn up the radio! lol but alright agian thanks for the info it really is useful! i just looked at the website and i like how hes got packages set up just for the car. looks like once i get my car tuned and replace the o2 so it stops acting funny i know what ill do next. Again thank you
Old 11-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DamonZ28
As Daniel mentioned, rattles will vary from car to car. I have a 1994 Z28 with a 10" sub in the rear, and I don't have any rattles at all. I do have a bit of a rattle with the passenger door speaker, however, that I need to fix one of these days. You can't go wrong with Kee Audio. He put together a very nice subwoofer package for me that I am very pleased with.
i was just gunna ask where you get you 10. but thanks for the info, i like the set ups he has for the F bodys. If i choose to go with a sub ill definitely go with a setup from him. right now my back speakers work great but are slowly going bad but thats usual for a 14 year old car. and the front passenger ratters so i have it faded to the back cause rattles in the car drive me insane

Quick Reply: Help Please