Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Volume lowers on its own

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Volume lowers on its own

Been experiencing some strange stuff with my radio. I've got a clarion single din deck in my car with a axxess aswc-1 steering wheel control module. for some reason the volume will just turn down on it's own. i'll be driving and it drops a couple of levels. doesn't matter what i've got it set on, but it will drop 2 levels, or 3 levels or a couple levels and then a couple levels again after a little bit. Never goes up, only down.
I have no idea where to start trying to diagnose what's the issue is.

Anyone have any idea's?
Old 11-04-2014, 06:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

It's either the steering wheel control module or the head unit itself since there is no other source of volume control. You can easily determine which by unplugging the Axxess module from the head unit and see if it continues to happen. If it continues, the head unit is faulty otherwise it's the module.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It also could be the steering wheel controls themselves. I had something similar with mine but it was the opposite and quite unnerving when I first bought my 98 Trans Am. Mine would turn itself all the way up by itself. Just driving along and all of a sudden it would start raising the volume all on it's own. Turned out that the volume control on the steering wheel was worn out so that it would just turn itself up. This was completely stock at the time so it was easier to diagnose then after upgrades. Just more food for thought.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had a chance to dig into this yet as I've been swamped with work but you make an interesting point. There is no bump/spring left in my volume control on the steering wheel. Just touching the volume up direction has no resistance any more compared to the volume down and the seek buttons on the left. I wonder if I try fixing that or buying a new one might solve it. I was thinking of doing that anyways at some point. I thought I read somewhere on here that there were a couple different part numbers out there for the wheel controls as some are different than others. I will have to look that up
Thanks for the replies

Quick Reply: Volume lowers on its own