Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering Column wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 04:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering Column wiring question

Using all 4th gen wiring in my 2ng gen, except for the stuff with the steering column (horn, turn signals, hazards). So I need to get this figured out so I actually have some turn signals.. instead of just hand signals lol. The pics below show the connectors from each car, which plug into the steering column. they are similar, but not exactly the same as far as colors go. These column wires aren't listed in the Haynes manuals I have for these cars.

Goal: use the wires that originally ran to the 2001 connector, and run them to the '78 connector, so that hopefully the turn signals will work on the column

Question 1: do you know what each of the wires is for on the 2001 connector (second pic), or on the 78 connector?

Question 2: the plastic coating has fused to the wires, making it pretty much impossible to strip them. Any tricks to working with this issue?

1978 Column

green - horn?
yellow - ?
purple - ?
brown - ?
dark blue - left turn?
light blue - right turn?
black - ground?
pink - power
black - ground?

2001 column

yellow - ?
green- horn
gray - ?
purple - ?
pink - ?
gray - ground?
blue - ?
gray - ground?
pink - power

Last edited by crimson_bird; 12-01-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

2001 Connector:
D - Yellow: accessory 12V
E - Dark Green: wiper switch ON signal
F - Grey: wiper switch low/pulse signal
G - Purple: wiper switch high signal
H - Pink: washer switch signal
J - Grey/Black: cruise control resume/accelerate signal
K - Dark Blue: cruise control set/coast signal
L - Grey: cruise control ON signal
M - Pink: ignition 12V

Sorry, I don't have a 2nd generation manual.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I think this is what you are looking for: http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/78w-ip1.jpg

There are also more diagrams at http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/ which you may need to reference to trace all the colors.

If you have any other issues, the folks in the Conversions and Hybrids section of this site may also be able to help.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the help, I actually got it all done last night! Just gotta get the horn and windshield wipers wired in now, those are the last two big electrical hurdles for me
Originally Posted by wssix99
I think this is what you are looking for: http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/78w-ip1.jpg

There are also more diagrams at http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/ which you may need to reference to trace all the colors.

If you have any other issues, the folks in the Conversions and Hybrids section of this site may also be able to help.
thanks for the links, especially the 2nd one! Someone else had pointed me to that first link which was a huge help.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
2001 Connector:
D - Yellow: accessory 12V
E - Dark Green: wiper switch ON signal
F - Grey: wiper switch low/pulse signal
G - Purple: wiper switch high signal
H - Pink: washer switch signal
J - Grey/Black: cruise control resume/accelerate signal
K - Dark Blue: cruise control set/coast signal
L - Grey: cruise control ON signal
M - Pink: ignition 12V

Sorry, I don't have a 2nd generation manual.
Thanks for posting this up. Turns out the connector I posted up there was the wrong one from the 4th gen. But I'm glad you posted that, I guess I'll need that when I eventually try to wire in the cruise control. Where would I be able to find this info? I have to go through the entire harness to remove all of the stuff I don't need. So I need a VERY good set of interior diagrams.

the connector on top is the one I actually needed, the one below is the one for cruise control and the wipers.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The wiring diagrams are f the Factory Service Manuals published by Helm, Inc. That is all copywrighted material so its not supposed to be in the public domain. Whitebird and others have documented some of these items in the site stickies.

BTW - You might be able to save yourself some splicing by using a paper clip to release the terminals from the connector bodies and transferring them.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

The wiring diagrams are f the Factory Service Manuals published by Helm, Inc. That is all copywrighted material so its not supposed to be in the public domain. Whitebird and others have documented some of these items in the site stickies.
Okay thanks.

BTW - You might be able to save yourself some splicing by using a paper clip to release the terminals from the connector bodies and transferring them.
Ya learn something new everyday! That definitely would have saved me some time.

Quick Reply: Steering Column wiring question