Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subwoofer Choices ??..... Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Subwoofer Choices ??..... Help!!

I been looking and looking. Tired of looking and to be honest I don't know what I'm looking at. Ohms, RMS, watts, etc I have no clue about it. I have a 30 mile commute everyday to work and I get off at midnight so music is important to me so I can stay awake and make it home safely. So here is what I got going on..... I'm picking up 97 Geo Prizm next week or so cause I got it for a steal and the car is low mileage plus it's go be easy in my wallet at the gas pump. Max I want to spend is a 100 bucks on the subwoofer. Not a cent more. Car is no show car but I want a system that's go be plain and simple also save trunk space so I'm only go do one subwoofer. ( 12 inch)

After hours of looking these seem to be my choices.....

Planet Audio AC12D
NVX NSW122
JBL MS-12SD2
Hifonics HFX 12D4
Precision Power PPI B1.124
Polk Audio dB1240
Orion XTR 122
Soundstream R3.12
Ifinity Reference 1262W
RE Audio Rexv2-12
Kenwood KFC-W1125

I also have a couple other questions....
Do I need to aim towards a sealed box or ported?
Which is better for a 1 sub setup 2 ohm or 4 ohm?
I also would like a amp recommendation.... max I can spend on the amp is also a 100 bucks.
What channel amp would be best?
I do plan on running some kind of 6×9 speakers if that matters ........
Thanks for any help or any advice. I'm just a rookie and don't know nothing at all about car audio so excuse me if I did ask anything "stupid".
Old 12-07-2014, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't see sundowns ?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

If sundown has a 12 under 100 bucks I'll consider it.......
I'm not limited to those speakers I posted above but they all were under a 100 bucks by me doing a search on Google so that's what I listed bro.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed and built many custom stereos(and I'm not talking about putting Sony explodes in my friends Honda) I'm talkin about Comp vans that will literally make your noise bleed in less than 10 sec.. . Tell me what your looking for as far as how loud vs. Qaulity.

I'm guessing you are looking for quality here since you want 1 12"... all them subs you just listed are pretty Shitty. .. you don't want a spl sub so let's forget the sundown idea. ..

I'd say 1 12" w6 or w7 with a 500/1 but that's gona run you at least $500 used.

One thing I can assure you is that the boxes that go sideways on one side of the trunk sound like poop, since a sub is meant to reflect sound before it enters your ear.. this why you face subs to the back of the trunk.

So what you looking for? Seald box, ported, slot ported?

What kind of music do you listen to?

My sister owns a electronic shop called D mobile media and has lots of different brands to meet the demand of pples needs. .. I've installed and tuned in stereos from basic alpine to 18" xxx RE's
Old 12-07-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

just curious as to whats wrong with sundowns ws6turbo
Old 12-07-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

The cutlass has 4 12" w7s and the van has 4 15" RE mt's..

Old 12-07-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you only have $200 to spend, honestly I would just keep an eye on craigslist and see if you can score a deal on an amp and sub combo used. At least then you may end up with something of half *** decent quality.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by madmike9396
just curious as to whats wrong with sundowns ws6turbo
Since 2008 .. everything, may as well go to beat buy and buy a xplod...

Sundown has gone way down in quality(as most have with there base line subs). . Still make a good spl sub.. but that just plays bass so how could they **** that up? If you want a Sub that's good all around. .. around $100 but will perform way better than any other $100 sub look into American bass. . I put there 2 15" and 2 2000 watt amps in my fiancees gti and for what they are they sound great and blow the rear hatch glass open..

Cost me around 600 total (but of course I built box and did install)
it pounds waaay harder than my 2 10" w6's with 2 500/1 ... and the w6's cost me over 2k new. ..
Old 12-07-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ws6turbo
Since 2008 .. everything, may as well go to beat buy and buy a xplod...

Sundown has gone way down in quality(as most have with there base line subs). . Still make a good spl sub.. but that just plays bass so how could they **** that up? If you want a Sub that's good all around. .. around $100 but will perform way better than any other $100 sub look into American bass. . I put there 2 15" and 2 2000 watt amps in my fiancees gti and for what they are they sound great and blow the rear hatch glass open..

Cost me around 600 total (but of course I built box and did install)
it pounds waaay harder than my 2 10" w6's with 2 500/1 ... and the w6's cost me over 2k new. ..
you seem to know your stuff on subs. what is the best sub for bass on the market now a days ? no budget in mind
Old 12-07-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Teeks1972
If you only have $200 to spend, honestly I would just keep an eye on craigslist and see if you can score a deal on an amp and sub combo used. At least then you may end up with something of half *** decent quality.
Craigslist... naw. . If your going to go that route let me know. I could get you some new **** off my sister for a good deal.. they closed the stereo shop D mobile media and sell the inventory out of there shop shop called th auto sales. .. lots of extra inventory and **** left over (from HIDs to subs to remote start) could get you a deal... call tj auto sales..ask for Jason and tell him I sent you.. or pm me and I'll talk to my sister before you call
Old 12-07-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ What do you think about the Soundqubed HDS212? Would come in right at his budget limit. FWIW I have an Obsidian 18 I'm very happy with but they recently closed.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

you seem to know your stuff on subs. what is the best sub for bass on the market now a days ? no budget in mind
Sony x plod, ,single voice coil. .. 100 watt rms.. plastic cone with a 1/2 lb magnet and a 1 1/2 inch extension in the coil before the wires pull through...

Lol IDK ... that's such a general question. .that's like asking what's the best car on the market..

For quality I will always stand by the w7 and 100/1

For spl(just bass) I would start with a nice basket. .. Memphis lvs, any RE basket, sundown basket, onyx basket...which ever is readily available and sent it to PSI.... I wouldn't simply buy a prefab sub because when it does blow, I would send it to psi,...
so I would save myself time and buy a blown sub for the magnet and basket(one of the ones I listed, or Any big basket and magnet) and send to psi. ..

What amp for spl sub? Depends...but for general sake I'll say Audio q. .
Old 12-07-2014, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

you talking over my head lol

what is spl ?
100/1 ?

sorry its cool if you don't feel like explaining
Old 12-07-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

SPL (sound pressure level) sub is designed for just really loud bass with the quality of the sound not a major concern. SQ (sound quality) sub is designed for good sound quality with not a major emphasis for high SPL. Not to say that a lot of subs will still give you good SQ and still get loud. A lot of the SQ has to do with the install. 100/1- I'm guessing he meant to put 1000/1 which is a JL mono class D amp.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

so if your looking for loud bass you want a high SPL ?

Looking for quality bass look at SQ ?
Old 12-07-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for posting guys. Yeah I got the car for a incredible price and it's a work car. I don't want to put tons of money into the car i rather put that into my Camaro. Deal is all I want is the best bang for my buck sub (quality) under a 100 bucks and a amp under a 100 bucks to power the sub. I listen to mostly rap music.... Some R@B too.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

so if your looking for loud bass you want a high SPL ?

Looking for quality bass look at SQ ?
That's just what people refer to them as. There are also some subs considered SQL (sound quality loud). JL's have good SQ and get loud but are big $. For a cheap amp I would go with Hifonics or Audiopipe. They both seem to get pretty decent ratings. I would build a ported box. If you don't want to mess with building a slot port go with an aeroport.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SilverSS07
SPL (sound pressure level) sub is designed for just really loud bass with the quality of the sound not a major concern. SQ (sound quality) sub is designed for good sound quality with not a major emphasis for high SPL. Not to say that a lot of subs will still give you good SQ and still get loud. A lot of the SQ has to do with the install. 100/1- I'm guessing he meant to put 1000/1 which is a JL mono class D amp.
^^^Exacly this , I meant 1000/1... jl charges $1 per watt for mono block (true wattage) $1000/1 is $1000 ...best on the market for sound quality , most would agree since the 1000/1 puts out 1000 watts where most 2000 watt amps only put out 1000(even other high dollar amps Arnt true wattage like jl mono block)

OP I would get American bass, it's right in your budget and what your looking for. Best bang fir your buck... I will look up the exact sub, and let you know the model... I believe it's a DX dual voice coil, and like 2" rubber surround(pretty fat) which is great for rap music that needs a speaker that can over extend to play low notes in rap, I also look for a amp. .. wether or not you choose to go my route is your choice, 1 12" will bang hard. .. my fiancees 2 15" American bass(I believe DX)would blow the glass hatch open if we didn't keep a window down... if tuned in proper will sound and last...

What kind of car? That will make a difference in which box you need to sound right... if your good with wood you can pick up a piece of mdf and build your own box. Or expect to pay $100 for a box... unless American bass comes in a prefab box, can't remember. .. we got just the subs and I built our box.

If you want to build your own box you need wood +glue+screws. Bout $40 from home depot. .. they will cut the wood for 25cent a cut. (So all you do is glue and screw your box at home, no cutting yourself) this gives you perfect cuts and only costs about $2 for all the cuts you need. <Who wouldn't do this for $2

If you do this I can help you with sizing the cuts to make the box correct size for the sub

Let me know. I love the car stereo ****... unlike working on a car it is easy to wrap your head around everything involved. At least for me but I was the little kid taking "junk" home stereos out of trash and fixing them. .. and pissing off the neighbors with the music I love music, as I'm sure most do lol
Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I love music too!! Car is a 97 Geo prizm. 4 door with low mileage. I have a 40 minute drive each way to work. I got the car for a great deal due to perfect timing. I'm not trying to tie up more money into a system than I have into the car if that makes sense. If yall guys ever visit sonic electronics yall will see so MANY speakers under a 100 bucks that it will spin your head around..... another reason why I started this thread. So many choices and like I said I don't understand ohms, watts, rms, frequencies,etc..... it's more to it than what people think
Old 12-07-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
I love music too!! Car is a 97 Geo prizm. 4 door with low mileage. I have a 40 minute drive each way to work. I got the car for a great deal due to perfect timing. I'm not trying to tie up more money into a system than I have into the car if that makes sense. If yall guys ever visit sonic electronics yall will see so MANY speakers under a 100 bucks that it will spin your head around..... another reason why I started this thread. So many choices and like I said I don't understand ohms, watts, rms, frequencies,etc..... it's more to it than what people think
I understand it so let me know what questions you have, ill help you match Amp sub and box no mater what you get..

I put a mtx 9500 in a buddy's geo. Same as you described and it was loud lol.. but that's a huge sub. .. let me know if you got questions.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Choices ??..... Help!!