Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How much(if any) sound quality is sacrificed on lower cost HU?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much(if any) sound quality is sacrificed on lower cost HU?

I know the less you pay for a DD unit, the less bells and whistles you get but, does sound quality go out the window too? I'll use just Pioneer units as an example. Pay 150.00 for one or 400.00 for another. Is the same sound still there is what I'm trying to say on cheap or expensive?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it depends. if u have no amplifier, you probably wont notice the differences, however if u do have a amp, depends on the rca volts preouts voltage, it can make a huge difference. When i had my system with a 500w amp i started off with a 2.5 volt preout and it was hitting pretty good. I upgraded to a 5v preout and it was a night and day difference. It hit so much harder and cleaner.

Last edited by CaliboyTA; 12-10-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
it depends. if u have no amplifier, you probably wont notice the differences, however if u do have a amp, depends on the rca volts preouts voltage, it can make a huge difference. When i had my system with a 500w amp i started off with a 2.5 volt preout and it was hitting pretty good. I upgraded to a 5v preout and it was a night and day difference. It hit so much harder and cleaner.
what he said.

also watch out some of the mid level and MOST if not all the lower level units use the same set of RCA's as either the rear output or subwoofer output depending on how you set it, you don't want that if you plan to amp everything, I always buy with the plans to amp everything (whether I do or not) and make sure they are atleast 4 volt preouts for best results.

the full 3 sets of RCA's and 4 volts pretty much put you in the higher end units, but in my book they are worth the extra costs for the benefits they give.

now if everything is run off the internals of the headunit only then I doubt you would see a difference.

the cheapest Pioneer DD unit with these specs is this one http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...s/AVH-X5600BHS which I found in the 350 range if you look online. anything below that and your IMO sacrificing audio features for the sake of getting a double din touchscreen, which really isn't all it's cracked up to be, I know I used to have one, the visual interfaces look like they are from the 90's and most of the functions get locked out when the car is in motion unless you find out how to bypass the safety switch, which is technically illegal and we won't speak of how to do it here as a general rule.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 12-10-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

I appreciate the responses. I was guessing there was something had to make a difference in the specs of a unit. Just did not know What to look for beyond features. I can start looking now. What do you guys think the best deal is going now with specs you had mention and features? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

honestly you have to just look for what features (bluetooth, GPS, DVD, Satellite radio built-in/supported and HD radio for example) you want or might want and figure out which model has those features and thats the one you get, it's not about whats the cheapest model, it's about what gets you what you want, then search for the cheapest place to get that model from, but make sure they are authorized internet sellers or the Manufacture won't honor any warranty claims.

that one I linked can be found on a non-sponsor site for 350 and that is the cheapest of the Pioneer models that has the 3 sets of 4 volt preouts and is double din, the only thing it doesn't have is Nav and the NAV add-on it supports appears to be discontinued .
Old 12-12-2014, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Good crash course on stereo. I most likely would've been a little disappointed if I had not asked. Thanks for the input to all.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For the 93-2002 F-body, you'll get you best selection and price with a single (1 DIN) head unit size. Often a lot of the additional cost is for features that don't effect the sound quality. I would recommend a 4V Pre-amp voltage if you plan on running separate more powerful audio amplifiers. You'll also want at least 4 pre-amp outputs, 6 outputs if you want to run separate front, rear, and subwoofer amplifiers. As far as other features, as already stated by Daniel Richards just look for the features you need, an want and the narrow it down.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Ok. I'll narrow down here. Lol The Monsoon was not bad at all in new condition. From what I'm gathering is the speakers (all 6 locations) crap out and that's the end. I get that part. HU did it's job well but, newer technology is just a better platform. The amp seems to be up for the task for what I'm looking for on sound. Good HU and acceptable grade speakers and it's back in business, right? Just a good, full sound from Metallica when I want it. Ear ringing? Not so much anymore.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Ok. I'll narrow down here. Lol The Monsoon was not bad at all in new condition. From what I'm gathering is the speakers (all 6 locations) crap out and that's the end. I get that part. HU did it's job well but, newer technology is just a better platform. The amp seems to be up for the task for what I'm looking for on sound. Good HU and acceptable grade speakers and it's back in business, right? Just a good, full sound from Metallica when I want it. Ear ringing? Not so much anymore.
new tech isn't always better, just look at all the once great brands that have gone to crap, then there is the whole vinyl argument (for the true audiophiles that know what i'm talking about) but I'm to young to have heard much of anything on vinyl to make a judgement there.

you could start with just a speaker upgrade, Kee Audio has several sets to choose from that are specifically matched for this car and see if thats enough to get your sound where you want it. Even the best headunit can't make blown speakers sound good. Then if you want better sound or the new features the next step is upgrading the headunit (which also lets you add all the new features that didn't exist when these cars where made, like bluetooth and stuff) and if adding the headunit and new speakers leaves you wanting more then you do the new amps to power the new speakers, for most people the monsoon amp provides all the power needed.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks D. Richards. That post was my original thought. I just wanted to hear it from a few that have a handle on stereo electonics. I have a good direction to follow now. Thanks to all.

Quick Reply: How much(if any) sound quality is sacrificed on lower cost HU?