Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker suggestions for 01 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Speaker suggestions for 01 Silverado

This is for my 01 Silverado crew cab. The stock speakers suck (obviously) and two of them are already dead, so it's time for replacements.

I'm not looking for anything crazy, just some quality replacement door speakers. I'm not looking to install a sub. Stock size is 6 1/2", and I'd like to stick with that so I don't have to drill holes into my door panel. My truck has the factory 6 speaker system, with the two tweeters in the front doors.

I currently have the Kee Audio level 1 package in my T/A, and it's perfect for my taste. Would CDT be a good brand to go with again? The factory H/U has already been replaced with a Sony CDX (I forget which model).
Old 12-31-2014, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a fan of the Kenwood 7" components.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XP18...4C.html?tp=106

Great sound for a very moderate price ( especially with online/ebay pricing).

I have them in my '99 SS and my '01 Tahoe and I really like them.

In the Silverado, as in my Tahoe, you will have to open up the woofer hole in the door panel just a touch or the surround will hit. Not a big deal, only takes a minute or two with a jigsaw.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input. I just ended up buying some 6 1/2" Kenwoods, KFC-1665. The price was right and they got good reviews. I'll update this with results once I get them installed.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 6 1/2" kenwoods sounds great! are you just installing them of running an aftermarket Amp with them?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

No amp, just running them right off the H/U through the stock wiring.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I finally got them installed. The Metra adapter brackets I was sent didn't work, so I used the stock brackets with some fancy modifications. For the front I stripped off the old speaker and used some countersunk machine screws and nuts to hold the new speakers to the brackets.

For the rears, all I had to do was take my trusty Dremel and elongate the slots in the speaker slightly, and the stock screws worked.

All said and done, these sound great! I knew my old stuff was bad, but what a difference. The bass even hits decent for some little 6 1/2" speakers, I'm very happy.

Quick Reply: Speaker suggestions for 01 Silverado