Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Audio noob. Looking to find the right mix.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio noob. Looking to find the right mix.

Que onda.

I'm absorbing as much as possible about "systems" and have built a mock system in my head. However, I'm not sure if I'm over or under killing so I thought I would run it by with a noob question here or there.

So far I plan to use all Memphis Audio gear. I like the quality/price point/made in USAness....etc and it seems to get great reviews. I won't be using the stock HU so I'm not concerned with funky Monsoon compatibility.

From what I've read on here there is really no need to populate the hatch area with speakers with a decently built system, so I'm looking at (4) 6.5'' coaxials, (1) in each door, and (1) on each rear seat panel in the factory locations. A single 10'' sub enclosure @ the spare tire area and a single 5 channel amp to run it all.

I've been looking at:
-15PRX62 Power Reference 6 1/2'' Coaxial Speakers for the (4) up front.
-15-PR10S4V2 Power Reference 10" SVC 4 ohm Subwoofer
-16-PRX5.550 Power Reference amp RMS 4Ω (w) 50 x 4 / 200 x 1

Is that over kill for a decent sounding system with some good slam? What about using a 3 way coax instead of the 2 ways, any noticable gain for this minor grade system? I've read that 3 ways block more of the cone and are actually worse, yet they seem to cost more so whats the benefit?

Annnnnd the super noob question: Will the 2 or 3 way coaxials act as tweeter/mid range only and bass handled by the sub or do they do all three? My biggest concern is getting clarity out of the speakers during heavy bass lines. A good sounding system to me has just as loud and clear vocals and background effects as it does bass hits.

Thanks for any help or recommendations.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly, I would look into a set of COMPONENT 6.5" to put in the front doors so you can have a tweeter not jambed down in the bottom of the door (they do better when elevated, ideally firing off the windshield if you can find a way to make that work).

as for the rear seats (FYI referred to as SAIL PANEL in all discussions here) you DON'T want a speaker that has a tweeter in that location, the factory did the "subs" there because ANY high frequency response there makes everything sound like it's coming from that one speaker to your left (trust me even midranges that go to high a frequency will do this) since it's the closest to your head, this is why everyone suggest running the Bazookas from KeeAudio (or one of the CDT's they spec for that location).
Old 02-20-2015, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the response.

Since I'll be using a standalone sub should I even bother putting anything in the sails? If not does it position the bass too far to the rear, hence why people are putting smaller supporting subs in the sails?

Fabbing a tweeter spot in the pillars or dash wouldn't be a problem, I've done some custom gauge mounting, hole sawing and interior fab before. So you are saying tweeters pillar mounted towards the windshield glass, or dash mounted under the glass is the way to go?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Thanks for the response.

Since I'll be using a standalone sub should I even bother putting anything in the sails? If not does it position the bass too far to the rear, hence why people are putting smaller supporting subs in the sails?

Fabbing a tweeter spot in the pillars or dash wouldn't be a problem, I've done some custom gauge mounting, hole sawing and interior fab before. So you are saying tweeters pillar mounted towards the windshield glass, or dash mounted under the glass is the way to go?

Thanks.
don't think of the sails as "supporting subs", most subs max out around 100-150 hertz (or atleast that is where you'll usually set your crossover at), the bazookas for example start in around 39 hertz and go to like 1.5k hertz so they handle a range mostly just above where the sub does and do it better then the average coaxial because they are designed JUST to do that lower midrange where the 6.5 in a coaxial or component are typically designed to go up to like 5k-6k hertz and tweeters can start in as low as 1k hertz but are usually in the 3k-6k range for the the low end of what they play.

my second car was a 95 civic with the "premium sound" that had a tweeter pod mounted on the door firing toward the windshield and both of my 94 accords (wrecked one and replaced it with another one and swapped all my parts over) had the tweeters in the front corners of the dash firing off the windshield, the civic and accords had the best highs of any car I've owned, stock speakers or otherwise, which is why I plan to put my front tweeters (part of my component set) in the dash speaker locations on my 03 Trailblazer (mine is an LS so it didn't have speakers there from the factory).

what you can do is temporally mount the tweeters with enough slack, using velcro strips or something to decide which way you like them, I would start on the dash pad firing up towards the windshield, but you really just have to test it and see what sounds best.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
don't think of the sails as "supporting subs", most subs max out around 100-150 hertz (or atleast that is where you'll usually set your crossover at), the bazookas for example start in around 39 hertz and go to like 1.5k hertz so they handle a range mostly just above where the sub does and do it better then the average coaxial because they are designed JUST to do that lower midrange where the 6.5 in a coaxial or component are typically designed to go up to like 5k-6k hertz and tweeters can start in as low as 1k hertz but are usually in the 3k-6k range for the the low end of what they play.

my second car was a 95 civic with the "premium sound" that had a tweeter pod mounted on the door firing toward the windshield and both of my 94 accords (wrecked one and replaced it with another one and swapped all my parts over) had the tweeters in the front corners of the dash firing off the windshield, the civic and accords had the best highs of any car I've owned, stock speakers or otherwise, which is why I plan to put my front tweeters (part of my component set) in the dash speaker locations on my 03 Trailblazer (mine is an LS so it didn't have speakers there from the factory).

what you can do is temporally mount the tweeters with enough slack, using velcro strips or something to decide which way you like them, I would start on the dash pad firing up towards the windshield, but you really just have to test it and see what sounds best.
Thanks again. The temp mount sounds like a good plan.

Quick Reply: Audio noob. Looking to find the right mix.