Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help please- no sound out of speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please- no sound out of speakers

1996 z28, I didn't install this unit I bought this cars probably around 6 or so months ago now, and I'm finally getting a chance to get back and take a look at the wiring, I see that some wires have been spliced from the original to hook up to the new >.>. And there are a few wires just hanging out not connected to anything... What am I missing? I'm getting no sound out of my speakers(any of them) It's pretty annoying not having a stereo, I'd like to get this fixed today so I can put everything back together and actually have sound!

Any help is appreciated! Oh and my antenna on my car is left on the up position, it's pretty annoying... It's because he didn't hook up the auto antenna cord.. which color does that go to?

Also there used to be subs in this car, so not sure if the guy just disconnected the wires going to the speakers because they would not sound as great with just the subs alone?

Last edited by 3Whips; 03-01-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

aftermarket amp? Also camaro or firebird, camaros have fixed antennas.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

The subs were removed so I'm sure he took any amp he had with him. And it's a camaro but it looks retractable?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3Whips
The subs were removed so I'm sure he took any amp he had with him. And it's a camaro but it looks retractable?
I meant possibly a 4-channel amp for the regular speakers, looks like he by-passed the factory harness, is that a cut black wire on the blue plug? if this is the case it will be very difficult to diagnose, since the P.O. decided to save 10 bucks and NOT buy a proper harness adapter.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I think the '96 Z/28 came with the Bose system as standard equipment (optional on the base Camaro). I suspect the previous owner may have neglected to connect power for the Bose amp turn-on signal.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I think the '96 Z/28 came with the Bose system as standard equipment (optional on the base Camaro). I suspect the previous owner may have neglected to connect power for the Bose amp turn-on signal.
How do i accomplish this?
Old 03-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I meant possibly a 4-channel amp for the regular speakers, looks like he by-passed the factory harness, is that a cut black wire on the blue plug? if this is the case it will be very difficult to diagnose, since the P.O. decided to save 10 bucks and NOT buy a proper harness adapter.
If he cut the black wire off the factory im sure it's connected to the other as he didnt cut what he thought he didnt need it looks like.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 3Whips
How do i accomplish this?
You need to provide power to the pink wire in the factory harness while the head unit is on. The usual way to do that is to use the remote turn-on output of your head unit (blue with white wire). You can also use the antenna trigger wire (plain blue wire) if your HU doesn't lower the power antenna when using an audio source other than radio.

It would be a good idea to get rid of all the spliced and cut wiring first. Get yourself a Metra 71-1858 adapter harness (about $15) to repair the vehicle connector and wiring. Then get a Metra 70-1858 adapter harness (about $10) to connect to your aftermarket head unit. Once you've done that, the HU will simply plug in to the repaired vehicle harness.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

You need to provide power to the pink wire in the factory harness while the head unit is on. The usual way to do that is to use the remote turn-on output of your head unit (blue with white wire). You can also use the antenna trigger wire (plain blue wire) if your HU doesn't lower the power antenna when using an audio source other than radio.

It would be a good idea to get rid of all the spliced and cut wiring first. Get yourself a Metra 71-1858 adapter harness (about $15) to repair the vehicle connector and wiring. Then get a Metra 70-1858 adapter harness (about $10) to connect to your aftermarket head unit. Once you've done that, the HU will simply plug in to the repaired vehicle harness.
Awesome thanks Whitebird, i will try to power the pink cord for now as a quick fix and will buy the adapters if i fix the problem with just doing that. Also I'm almost possible that my car has a retractable antenna but it's not going down? Is the auto antenna cord not being used, can you see by my pictures?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The head unit antenna control wire (blue wire with ANT CONT label) is not connected. However, I don't think you have a power antenna. For one, I don't think there was a power antenna option available for '96 Camaros. Also, a power antenna does not extend unless it has power and you said yours is extended. I suspect you have an aftermarket manual retractable antenna (they were quite common 30+ years ago but you hardly ever see them anymore).
Old 03-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

The head unit antenna control wire (blue wire with ANT CONT label) is not connected. However, I don't think you have a power antenna. For one, I don't think there was a power antenna option available for '96 Camaros. Also, a power antenna does not extend unless it has power and you said yours is extended. I suspect you have an aftermarket manual retractable antenna (they were quite common 30+ years ago but you hardly ever see them anymore).
Sadly connecting the pink to the auto antenna did not work, it may of started a faint static sound but im not positive. .

Quick Reply: Help please- no sound out of speakers