Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How would you wire these?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How would you wire these?

I bought some Alpine 6.5" component speakers with tweeters. Wondering whats the correct way to wire them up? Do I need to use all 4 wires that came off the factory speaker?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Uh yes, two wires for the tweeter and two wires for the mid - just like the factory setup. In fact, you must use the same pair of wires that came off the factory tweeter for your new tweeter because it has high pass filtered signal.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I still don't understand what wire goes where.

The 4 wires in my hand are from the tweeter.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Perhaps you are confusing a crossover for a tweeter. The tweeter is the small speaker in your hand in the fourth photo. There is no such thing as a dual voice coil tweeter so it should have only one pair of wires.

The crossover is a box that is used to split the audio signal into high frequency for the tweeter and lower frequencies for the mid. It would have a place to connect two input wires and four output wires. The Monsoon system already filters the signal like that so the crossover is not needed for your installation. One pair of factory wires will go directly to the tweeter and the other pair will go to the mid (red = positive, black = negative). If you trace the red and black wires a little farther into the harness, you will see the colors change to match the listing in the Monsoon FAQ so you can determine which pair is which.

Quick Reply: How would you wire these?