Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Sub-box

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Sub-box

Thoughts?

New Sub-box-0oi6of7.jpg
Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

HONESTLY (and i'm not trying to hurt your feelings), outside of the bird (which should be centered left to right AND FRONT TO BACK, looks a little high from this angle), the rest looks like crap, like you just took a truck box that was the right dimension and dropped it in place, the speaker location (likely due to mounting depth issues) is WAY to high up on the box and to close to the outside edges.

it would have been somewhat better if the speakers sat in line with the bird and centered between the outside edges and the square cutout around the bird (which shouldn't be visible like it is).

in all honesty the odds where stacked against you from the start, I've yet to see a box on the rear hump that looked like it belonged in the car to start with, they just don't fit due to the curves of the rear hatch panels.

Again sorry if this comes across rude or harsh, I just tell it like I see it.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:26 AM

no that's fine it what I was looking for, I went out and bought some MDF and put it together in a few hours and wrapped it, the Bird cloth isn't cut out, its something I had embroidered onto cloth. More or less I wanted to see what it sounded like before I went into the make the box more room fitting to the space, IMHO the hide away boxes they make for the rear sound like crap compared to this and I lose zero usable trunk space.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hostage
IMHO the hide away boxes they make for the rear sound like crap compared to this and I lose zero usable trunk space.
Yeah, I always felt they where to small for most subs on the market and I've been running ported boxes for quite a while now and those are definitely far to small to port, thats why I went the polar opposite, pulled out the rear seat and built my box to occupy that space since I never needed to be able to carry more then 2 people at any time, I never did do the final blending into the interior panels and now I've ripped it all out since I put the car up for sale.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:33 AM

I'm thinking of getting vinyl that almost matches the factory plastic to make the final box out of but not sure yet. I could always fire up my 3d printer and print some plastic out tho
Old 03-14-2015, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Honestly, I'm gonna have to agree with Dan. That box doesn't flow with the rear hump at all. I think your best bet is to just buy the box that tucks into the left side of the trunk.

Also, I dunno about having the subs pointed directly at that rear glass. don't think it'll hurt anything physically, but I doubt it'll do much for sound quality either.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Reminds me of my storage box, but with speakers in it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ights-box.html

Old 03-15-2015, 01:49 AM
Launching!

I had a jl audio stealth box with a 10w3 and a 300 watt alpine amp that was pretty impressive.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Teching In

I plan on doing something like this. But hopefully with better "fit". I'm only going for 1 12".

Quick Reply: New Sub-box