Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Parasitic draw from hell, pulled all fuses, still have draw

Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parasitic draw from hell, pulled all fuses, still have draw

I removed the neg terminal from the battery. I then touched the neg multimeter clip to the neg of the battery, and the positive multimeter clip to the negative terminal. It read a 1.36A draw. I pulled every fuse and it still read 1.36A. I then tried touching the frame of the car instead of the negative battery terminal and it still shows 1.36A. So does this mean I have a power wire that is touching my frame somewhere?

This all started after the last 3 years I have ruined 3 optima batteries. Luckily, the person before me bought a 5 year warranty on them. However, they told me this is my last battery and no more after this. So obviously the parasitic draw is a problem. It doesn't just make the battery go dead, it kills the cells to where you can charge them overnight and in the morning they still say 0%.

Last edited by eb2phkingood; 04-21-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Disconnect the alternator and check again.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
I disconnected the main 13mm nut power wire from the alternator and it still reads 1.36a. I did not however, remove that all weather clip that clips on the top of the alternator. i could not reach it but if it is necessary I will remove the entire alternator from the car tomorrow to get to that clip. Let me know if that clip is necessary to remove or if the main 13mm nut/power wire was sufficient. Thanks

P.S. i'm not sure if this could cause the problem or not, but my turn signals in the front are slightly corroded and probably need new sockets spliced in, I noticed because of 2 reasons, 1 the turn signal blinking would speed up and slow down, and secondly because I could hear the turn signal through my speakers sometimes when the blinker was on. HOWEVER, when I pull the turn signal fuse it does NOT fix the 1.36a problem. Thoughts?
Old 04-23-2015, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Ok, I completely took off the alternator today and it still shows the draw. Also, It shows a 13.6 uA draw or 1.36 mA draw. I thought it was normal for a car to have a 30 mA draw. Mine only shows 1.36mA. However, 3 batteries have been ruined. I'm so lost with this i'm not sure where to go from here. Thoughts?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

If you pulled every fuse and relay there is really nothing else you can do. Clean grounds and connections. Also can disconnect PCM and the bcm. The draw would have to go away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parasitic draw from hell, pulled all fuses, still have draw