Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Instrument Cluster/Radio dim during day

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 05:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster/Radio dim during day

Hi everyone! Hopefully someone can help me with these issues, as I have not seen many forum posts discussing it.

I have a base 2002 Camaro, and decided to replace every light on it with its LED equivalent from superbrightleds.com. I started with the exterior lighting first, replacing the side markers, front/back blinkers, backup, tail lights, third brake light, and corner lights. I experienced an issue with the turn signals, of course, but this was fixed with purchasing an electronic flasher unit. Once I replaced the third brake light and tail lights, I started experiencing dimming of my radio display whenever the brake pedal was depressed. Whenever the brake pedal was depressed and the turn signal was switched on, the radio display would flash from dim to bright. I also lost use of my cruise control. After reading through some forums, I placed resistors on the tail light bulbs between the light blue and black wires. This restored the cruise control, but the radio lights would still dim and flash, respectively.

I then decided to swap out every interior bulb possible with its respective LED equivalent. Everything worked great up until I replaced the dash cluster bulbs (including the high-beam and turn signal indicators). When I turned on the car to drive it during the day, I noticed that my radio lights were constantly dim, and the odometer/trip meter lights were really dim (I did not touch the odometer light, since it is soldered into position). Also, pressing the brake and using the turn signal no longer has an effect on the radio light. The good news is at night, the entire car lights up beautifully.

Does anyone have any idea why the lights are perpetually dim during the daytime, and how I could go about fixing it? Do I need to add more resistors somewhere? Thanks to all in advance for any help provided!
Old 04-25-2015, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 04-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't know about the dim/bright flashing interior lights other than bad grounds somewhere.

However:
1.) Dash lights shouldn't be on during the day. They only come on with the parking lights (and headlights).
2.) Don't feel insulted by this next one because people have done this accidentally, but is the dimmer wheel turned down? Turn it up.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Teching In

No insult taken! The dimmer wheel is turned all the way up. The dash lights are not on during the day (like they are supposed to be). The issue is that the radio and the odometer/trip meter are very dim during the day.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:11 AM
Teching In

Maybe these images will help in describing what is going on. The first picture is taken during the day with the light selector switch in the off position. Notice how dim the odometer backlight is, to the point you can barely see it in the sunlight (The picture actually shows it somewhat brighter than it actually is). The second picture is during the day with the light selector switch in the far right position. The odometer backlight actually brightens when the dash lights are on. For some reason, the radio lights are perpetually dim now.
Attached Thumbnails Instrument Cluster/Radio dim during day-imag0136.jpg   Instrument Cluster/Radio dim during day-imag0138.jpg  
Old 05-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Teching In

About a year ago I also replaced all bulbs with LED's (interior and exterior) and had an issue with the parking / brake light on drivers side burn out after about a week (also cruise control not working). Taking the LED apart I found the internal resistor was cooked. After another 2 LED bulbs I reinstalled a standard bulb and the problems ceased.

After some investigations I also found I needed resistors. I have been busy working and did not try again until yesterday. After installing an LED and adding a resistor the cruise control still doesn't work with lights on (but I believe I need a resistor on the passenger side to.)

I noticed today while driving that if I held the brake down the radio would dim as well. I believe it is and issue with current feeding back through the parking light circuit fooling the radio into believing the lights are on. Monday I will add a diode to each side of the parking light wire and I bet that will fix the problem.

My brother is quite good with electronics and he suggested a 1 amp 12v diode for each side.

Adding a diode should also fix your issue.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:34 AM
Teching In

I put resistors on both rear stop lights and the 3rd brake light, and it restored my cruise control. I know for some reason on the F-body, the 3rd brake light is wired into the cruise.

Please let me know if the didoes work and which ones you used! I am eager to get this problem fixed, as I live in FL and it tends to be very difficult to see the radio from the sun glare.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Update on the issue:

I've noticed a pattern now to some of the madness. During the day, when the automatic daytime running lights are on, if I turn on the turn signal (either direction), the odometer/trip meter will go back to it's normal daytime brightness. When I depress the brake pedal, it will once again dim, and then go back to normal brightness when I let off of the brake. Then, when the turn signal clicks off, it will dim again. It seems like the system is getting some kind of feedback from the LED bulbs, but I haven't the faintest idea where it is or how to fix it.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster/Radio dim during day