Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power window issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power window issues

Today I went for a drive and before I took off I rolled down my windows. The passenger window went about halfway down, then I tried to roll it up and it wouldn't budge. It works fine going down but it's almost as if the button doesn't want to work for it to go back up.

Did some trouble shooting.. Pulled the motor, tested it. It will only turn in one direction and that is down. It also will not work up or down if I try to use the drivers side buttons. So I tried hooking up another motor to it and it will only turn in one direction as well. I figured it was the switch so I purchased a new one and that didn't solve the problem either.

So I'm wondering if I have some sort of wiring issue now. Has anyone had a similar problem to this? Luckily I got the window back up for now but I would like to find a solution for this.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Have you considered that it is probably the motor? You said you tested it and it would only go one way so that should make the diagnosis pretty simple.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You can test this pretty easily. The switches provide power to the motor and just reverse the polarity to make the window go up/down. If you test the voltage at the motor connector, that should confirm pretty quickly if you have a switch problem.

BTW - the driver's side switch is wired through the passenger side switch.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Correction... the passenger's side switch is wired through the driver's side (i.e. all window wiring goes to the driver's door first).
Old 04-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Correction... the passenger's side switch is wired through the driver's side (i.e. all window wiring goes to the driver's door first).
Thank you. I have no idea how my brain was working when I wrote that...
Old 05-03-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I plugged a brand new motor into the connector and it still would only operate in one direction. So that is why I'm so confused.

Could it possibly be a bad relay or do these cars even have those for the power windows?
I will try checking to see how much power I am getting from the connector that plugs into the motor and see if my issue comes from there.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:11 AM
Save the manuals!

You probably have a bad switch. These switches are more complex than you'd expect. If you check out a schematic (see shbox) and test the circuits, you should be able to confirm where the problem is.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
You probably have a bad switch. These switches are more complex than you'd expect. If you check out a schematic (see shbox) and test the circuits, you should be able to confirm where the problem is.
I already bought a brand new switch from the auto parts store for the driver's side and it didn't do anything. Do you think if the switch is bad on the passenger's side it will stop the driver's side from working?

I will look into shbox.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

Its the driver door module / switch. Make sure the connector is fully seated on the drivers side. Or check the wiring.... Some cars have a module separate from the switch also, might need to look into that.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G8One2
Its the driver door module / switch. Make sure the connector is fully seated on the drivers side. Or check the wiring.... Some cars have a module separate from the switch also, might need to look into that.
Are you saying its the actual switch that you touch to make the window go up or down, or the switch connector with the little holes in it? I replaced the switch button as stated earlier.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:10 AM
Save the manuals!

The problem is in the switch module. (Likely not the connector.) You need to test the circuits to figure out if the problem is with the switch on the driver's side or the switch on the passenger side.

If you have a spare switch in-hand, you can move it over to the passenger side and see if that's it. If that doesn't work, you'll need to test the circuits to isolate the problem.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem is in the switch module. (Likely not the connector.) You need to test the circuits to figure out if the problem is with the switch on the driver's side or the switch on the passenger side.

If you have a spare switch in-hand, you can move it over to the passenger side and see if that's it. If that doesn't work, you'll need to test the circuits to isolate the problem.
Bumping this back up. Is there any how-to's on testing the circuits? I suck at electrical stuff but my dad is pretty good. I'm not sure which terminals to check with the voltmeter.
I've moved the connector to both the driver side and passenger and now the window won't move on either one. Very frustrated at this point.

Could it possibly be something in the body control module?
Old 06-27-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same issues with the drivers side, a new motor fixed it completely
Old 06-27-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fat Jesus 808
I had the same issues with the drivers side, a new motor fixed it completely
The motor works fine, I already tested it, along with a brand new motor.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by dabest09
Is there any how-to's on testing the circuits? I suck at electrical stuff but my dad is pretty good. I'm not sure which terminals to check with the voltmeter.
You need an education on the topic - a how-to won't be enough. You could read some books and pick up the skill or I'm sure someone has a series of youtube videos on how to use a multi-meter. That might be a good place to start. Learning how to read the electrical schematics is a little more challenging.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need an education on the topic - a how-to won't be enough. You could read some books and pick up the skill or I'm sure someone has a series of youtube videos on how to use a multi-meter. That might be a good place to start. Learning how to read the electrical schematics is a little more challenging.
Well I messed with it some more today and I think there must've been some sort of short in the passenger's side switch somewhere because if I moved it a certain way when operating the window motor it would intermittently short out and stop. I got some sandpaper and ran it over the copper terminals on the switch to freshen it up and it seems to work great now both up and down. I did notice a little water on the passenger's side carpet so I'm guessing some water got in there and might've done something and maybe dried out and now it works?
I hope it stays working from here on out, *knocks on wood.

Quick Reply: Power window issues